Suggestions of BootCamp on my iMac Extreme

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by autumn, Feb 23, 2008.

1. autumn macrumors member

So I'm ready to install window on my mac for some gaming. Haven't used windows for a long time and never done bootcamp before.

Which versions of windows should I get? I heard xp pro is a better choice because of Vista still fishy even with the upcoming sp1.

There is plain o'l xp pro or xp pro x64 bit. Seems like bootcamp doesn't support x64 yet. Will it in the future?

Should I get the x64 bit one because my computer has 64bit CPU? Does it matter much for gaming?

Thanks for your help!

2. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

What is an iMac Extreme?

.....never mind. You made up a new model by stating a partial processor moniker :p

3. McGiord, Feb 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I believe that currently only some MacPros support the 64 bit for Windows via Bootcamp, but I think I saw some VMware Fusion advertising that they support 64 bit apps, better check on their website.

For XP you need it to be SP2.

I have XP Pro and it runs pretty fast, I bought my license on craigslist for $50.
    I think Vista is overpriced, so I will not pay for it.
    ________
    Toyota A engine history

4. autumn thread starter macrumors member

Just iMac with Core 2 Extreme CPU...:D

5. autumn thread starter macrumors member

SP2 is a free download right? If I get SP2 now, will SP3 be free also?

6. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

sp2 is a free download but you can't install xp with boot camp unless the install disc is already sp2 integrated... otherwise you have to slipstream your install disc

7. autumn thread starter macrumors member

After I read all the bugs about 64 bit XP. I finally got XP PRO 32bit sp2 yesterday on Craigslists for $45. Installed it and no problem. It's really really weired to see windows on my iMac...

I had to adjust my screen res. to 1600*1200. Boooo...Microsoft!!

Now....on to the games!! Any program I can use to overclock my GPU ATI 2600? I've done the research and came across a few. Which one is most stable?

Thanks!

8. autumn thread starter macrumors member

So checking on XP, it says I have ATI 2600xt and the driver is 8.390.0.0 dated 6/14/2007

There is a upgrade driver button on there...should I do it that way or will it mess up my videocard when I switch back to mac os x?

9. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Yeah you can upgrade just select the bootcamp driver from the ATI download site and not the normal windows one.

10. autumn thread starter macrumors member

I tried that. downloaded the bootcamp verison of CCC and it didn't work in XP.

Any suggestions?

11. autumn thread starter macrumors member

12. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Please don't bump threads, it is against macrumors forum rules and the moderators will delete the threads if you do it.

13. autumn thread starter macrumors member

Can anyone confirm the newest driver number for iMac in XP?

14. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Download the Catalyst 8.2 drivers from ATI (I prefer 7.12 myself) and then download Mobility Modder

15. autumn thread starter macrumors member

Then you can update to the newest driver for 2600xt and then overclock it?

How much overclocking is considering safe on the mid-2007 iMac?

Does it make a big different in gaming?

Thanks!

16. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Check out the 2600xt? thread for overclocking info (look towards the end of the thread). You will need ATItool to overclock. The Core has to be moved in 7MHz steps and the memory in 9Mhz steps. Some people manage to overclock 10 to 15% others get artifacting or black screens at 5%. I think it depends on your video RAM. The drivers (especially 7.12) are such a big improvement over the originals that I don't personally think OCing is worth it here.