Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MasonAtom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
Looking to buy a 19 to 21 inch LCD monitor. Spending range ~ $550 to 1000, so the new Mac 20 inch display is out of the question. I have a friend who swears by the Dell 2001FP, which you can get for about $760 right now. Dell specs say it is not compatible with Mac, but have read reviews where it has been used just fine with a G5 tower.

Not heavy gamer, although I do play from time to time. Use Photoshop fairly regularly, but not too intensely. I do some video editing, mostly with the simple iMovie to make short 5 or 6 second quicktime video clips for the web.

Any suggestions on a reliable LCD with good clarity and color balance?

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
MasonAtom said:
Looking to buy a 19 to 21 inch LCD monitor. Spending range ~ $550 to 1000, so the new Mac 20 inch display is out of the question. I have a friend who swears by the Dell 2001FP, which you can get for about $760 right now. Dell specs say it is not compatible with Mac, but have read reviews where it has been used just fine with a G5 tower.

Not heavy gamer, although I do play from time to time. Use Photoshop fairly regularly, but not too intensely. I do some video editing, mostly with the simple iMovie to make short 5 or 6 second quicktime video clips for the web.

Any suggestions on a reliable LCD with good clarity and color balance?

Samsungs in general are of very good quality and *reasonable* price. Dells are also not bad... and there was very recently a sale on Dell monitors... but I think it's done now.

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
I agree that Samsung monitors are great and any monitor with a standard DVI input will work with a G5 tower or powerbook. If you are using an eMac, iMac, or iBook then you are going to have to go with VGA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.