Suicide contract: Alabama school forces 5-year-old girl to sign suicide contract

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Oct 11, 2014.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

This is just crazy. I thought it was ok to have guns in schools in Alabama.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/sui...rces-5-year-old-girl-to-sign-suicide-contract
    The mother of a five-year-old girl who attends E.R. Dickson School in Mobile, Alabama, claims that her daughter was forced to sign a contract in school stating that the girl would not commit suicide or kill anyone else, as reported on Friday by WKRN-TV which is an ABC-TV affiliate. The mother, who refused to give her complete name, said that school officials were sending her daughter home from school after an incident involving a crayon and a drawing involving the insinuation of a gun. Prior to sending the girl home, however, she was told to sign the contract about suicide and homicide.

The mother said that school officials told her that her daughter, Elizabeth, drew something that resembled a gun. Additionally, it was said that the little girl pointed a crayon at another student and said “pew, pew.” This incident, according to the mother, led to her daughter being given a questionnaire which is designed to evaluate the girl for possible suicidal thoughts. Beyond that, the girl was given a Mobile County Public School safety contract to sign. The contract says that the person signing it – five-year-old Elizabeth – will not kill herself or anyone else. Elizabeth’s mother, Rebecca, is outraged over the way the school handled the situation.

The mother said that they made her daughter sign the contract about suicide and homicide while she waited in the school’s lobby. She asserts that there should be a different way to handle such a situation. She is quoted as saying, “There should be a different way to handle this… If this is protocol, it needs to be looked at again.” The mother went on to say, “This isn’t right. She’s five-years-old. Most of these words on <the document> she’s never heard in her life.” She said, “My child interrupted us and said, ‘What’s suicide, mommy?’”

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

If this really happened--and I'm skeptical--it was the actions of one lone nut teacher and not school policy.

3. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

But I thought things like this only hapoen in a liberal commie state...

5. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

For sure. Now if it was a real gun would it have been ok?

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

What are you guys talking about?

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I don't have time to research this, but is this real? Public or private church school? Yes, my religious biased skirt may be showing... :p

9. chown33 macrumors 604

The article names the school as "E.R. Dickson School in Mobile, Alabama". A quick google search shows they have a website:
    http://www.erdickson.com/

At the top of the home page it says "Mobile County Public Schools".

Using site-specific search, I was unable to find anything regarding contracts, nor for suicide or homicide prevention.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Whether it's true or not it's not a legally binding statement. The kids 5 years old.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Whether it's true or not, there isn't any meaningful punishment the school can inflict on her if she does commit suicide.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Snappy post but the "contract" says suicide and homicide.

;)

13. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

Yes there has been a uptake in 5 year Olds killing with guns

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

This whole thing is bizarre to begin with.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It's not ment to be binding, only influencing. It's still way screwed up. Are there 5 year olds living in a stable society who think about offing themselves? This is an adult perversion.

16. pdjudd macrumors 601

If it’s meant to be influencing, its horribly fails. The girl is 5 years old, she probably doesn’t even understand the contract at her age, much less be able to reasonably follow it. I guarantee she’s going to forget this contract in 6 months.