Sup. Court Rejects Anti–Gay Marriage Vote Appeal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jan 18, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is very encouraging for the future:

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/01/18/Supreme_Court_Rejects_Antigay_Marriage_Vote/

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

If it all goes well, in a few years time you'll probably be getting cases like this.:)

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It won't be a few years. This is the US. :(

4. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Extremely encouraging indeed. Especially when you consider that Perry vs. Schwarzenegger will likely make its way to SCOTUS within a few years. It's even more encouraging when you consider that the current court leans Conservative.

Do they not have a public breakdown in matters like this? I mean I know it says they held a private conference but I'd still love to know who went which way. Kennedy in particular.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I think we certainly know what Scalia and Thomas did.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I believe that the same full marriage rights will be granted to gay and lesbian couples within 10 years nationwide. There is so much momentum behind gay marriage its pretty much inevitable -- unless something horrible and unlikely happens like Sarah Palin becoming President. However, if that happens we won't need to worry about equal rights since most of us will have died in the ensuing nuclear holocaust.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Let's hope it's only ten years. Christ I'll be almost 54 by then. :(

9. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yes, but better late than never. You should just be happy for future generations who will never know what it was like to not have marriage equality. Just like many blacks today don't know what it was like to be segregated. It's a wonderful thing.

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That's why I've fought so long and so hard all these years on every front I'm able. No kid should ever have to experience what I and many others have, and I look forward to the day they don't have to anymore.

It will have been worth it.

11. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Must suck for this pastor to realize he's on the wrong side of the culture war that he had a part in creating, and that he's on the wrong side of history. I have a feeling the courts will never take his side again, poor puppy.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Funny, but you are doing it wrong, here, let me show you...

Attached Files:

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Things have changed for the better already. I've noticed that young gay men and women feel much better about themselves and their relationships than people in my generation did when I came out. (I'm 39)

It's a bit surreal to talk to some of my younger gay friends who are planning their lives. More than a few fully intend to get married and have kids--its normal for them. It's very encouraging.

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That is most certainly true, but there's still way too much hate out there.

Let's hope this is much better in ten years.

15. Queso macrumors G4

It will be easier for them Lee. I think I've posted this to you before, but when it comes the change will be sudden and massive. Two years later everything will be different and you'll be sat not believing how much progress has been made.

It's the way it happened across Western Europe, and you can currently watch the same momentum sweeping across South America. The USA will get there, and it'll be sooner than you think.

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I hope so. I really do. There's just so much scary stuff going on right now with all the teen suicides and such. It's just horrible. It's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, ya know?

17. Queso macrumors G4

There's always been gay teens driven to dying young, only in the past it all got swept under the carpet. The reason they took their own lives was considered shameful by their families and peers. That we're hearing about these now, and the reasons behind their deaths, is another sign of how much things are moving forward.

Nowhere near fast enough when young adults are still driven to suicide, that's for certain, but hopefully one day this particular reason will no longer be there.