Super fast to super laggy slow to frozen, screen crashing 2012 MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Highlander-, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Highlander- macrumors member

Hi...

So I was just on Safari. I had one youtube video attempting to load. In the background I had 2 tabs open, with news. The only other programs I had open were iTunes on pause and Dictionary. Hardly a big strain...

And yet.. my 2012 MBA 13" just went laggy... and laggy... and would not even play the Youtube video. And then as I attempted to type on a second web page, the lag increased. Then, the kiss of death, as I started to type "Activity..." in Spotlight, my Macbook gave up after the letters AC and just froze completely. I closed the lid and the computer stayed on, frozen, crashed. After a 10 minute wait I gave up and forced shutdown by pressing the power button.

Now I am back on and everything seems fast and okay again and there is no error message or warning from Mac OS X explaining why Mountain Lion just crashed so horribly while doing basically nothing.

So what might be the problem?

Miffed and not at all impressed.

2. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

Adobe Flash

Install and use the Safari extension at the following link. It will replace all common flash video with HTML5 video. Flash video uses the Flash plugin, which consumes massive amounts of RAM and CPU power. HTML5 video uses little RAM, and is hardware accelerated so it uses significantly much less CPU, saving your battery power and creating less heat.

http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/