Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nubben

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Hi all,

I have a question re the DVD region settings of my MBP's default PAL (Region 2) DVD player. I buy a lot of NTSC discs (Region 1) and since I would have to change the region settings all the time on my MBP (and I can only do that so many times) I was wondering where the Region settings are stored on the computer - is it software or hardware (firmware) based? I don't want any hacks to screw up my computer but instead I have been thinking about getting an external DVD player set the Region to 2 on that and keep the Region 1 setting on my MBP.

Is that possible? I assume if it's software dependent I will not be able to change this but if its firmware maybe I can keep one PAL drive (internal) and one NTSC drive (external) at the same time.

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Cheers.

Nubben

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
I think the region settings are in the drive's firmware, not your computer and I believe you are correct that you can change regions limited times, 5 or 6?

If you have to read discs from both regions, your suggestion about using two drives may work best for you. There may be a hack out there but, sorry, I am not aware of any.

Anyone else know a workaround?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.