Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TigerPRO

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
Wisconsin
I have an iMac with a SuperDrive. I've noticed this noise once and a while coming from the drive while it's reading, especially with DVDs. Normally, I'll be able to reproduce the noise by running a DVD video disc in DVD player. Once I select a chapter, I hear a loud clunk from inside the drive. It seems to coincide with changes in reading patterns.

Is this normal behavior? Does anyone else have this same event happen to their SuperDrive? I've speculated it might be braking, because I haven't always noticed the problem. But then again, I'm not sure.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Im not quite sure what sound the clunking would be, since ive never heard it out of my superdrive... except when i put a disc in (its slot loading). But as with any part on your computer, if youre worried about it, take it into an Apple Store and let one of the geniuses listen to it... even if its out of warranty, they will usually be nice enough to take a few seconds to tell you whether or not they think its a real problem (usually Apple or someone else would charge a $50 - $75 diagnostic fee).

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
you sure what you are hearing is coming from the superdrive? i would bet you are hearing a hard drive " Chur Clunk" if its reading the dvd then its writing to the hard drive. hard drive is mounted together on top of superdrive, just a guess.

TigerPRO

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2003
Wisconsin
I'm going to try and capture the sound and post a link to it. I'm sure it's not the hard drive. I think if it was normal you would know for sure what I'm talking about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.