Superdrive eMacs in October

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
14,499
1,783
Spymac reports that the eMac could get minor updates as soon as October.

Besides memory upgrades, a Superdrive enabled eMac is anticipated.

Zettabyte Solutions had previously offered Superdrive enabled eMacs as a custom build... but were recently stopped by Apple. This spawned speculation regarding Apple's own intentions in this arena.
 

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
1,215
39
3rd rock from the sun...
I wonder...

... who would buy an eMac with a SuperDrive??? :confused:

Does that make sense from a marketing point of view? That way even less people would buy an iMac, when the only difference is the LCD monitor...

groovebuster
 

SubFredZero

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2001
53
0
Re: I wonder...

Originally posted by groovebuster
... who would buy an eMac with a SuperDrive??? :confused:
i would... the only thing that prevents me from buying a emac is that i want to write my own DVD's. But i'm not going to buy a imac only for the superdrive because they are way to expensive. So from the "marketing point of view" it would be a good move cause i'm not going to buy a new apple before we have a super drived emac.
 

MacArtist

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
75
0
Re: I wonder...

Originally posted by groovebuster
... who would buy an eMac with a SuperDrive???
A lot of people in the education market would buy the eMac with superdrive. Schools don't want the iMac flat panel because of all of the ware and tare that kids can put on the arm. And buying a superdrive equiped PowerMac might be a bit out of their budget.

PowerMac 800 w/ superdrive and 17" CRT edu $1900
eMac 700 w/ superdrive estimated edu $1400

As far as consumers go, it may not be the best option but for a school it would do fairly well I think.
 

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
978
0
Nashvegas
yes, we can't lose sight of the fact that the eMac is really meant for education, plus, I might buy one as a home machine, if my office weren't at home. I would be nice to have that kind of functionality away from the big tower that one might have in an office space. On the other hand, the rumoured superdrive Ti Books might make that a reality.
 

bbarnhart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2002
824
1
I'd buy one

Although, I have no use right now for the SuperDrive, I would buy an eMac if they stuck in a higher quality monitor. But, I doubt they will. The refresh rate on the current eMac at 1280 x 980 (?) is 75 Hz. Way too slow. Flicker city.
 

Tekneek

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2002
3
0
Chicago
Re: Re: I wonder...

Superdrive equipped eMacs have been available to the education market since its release. Check the apple educational store, they cost $1415.00.








Originally posted by MacArtist


A lot of people in the education market would buy the eMac with superdrive. Schools don't want the iMac flat panel because of all of the ware and tare that kids can put on the arm. And buying a superdrive equiped PowerMac might be a bit out of their budget.

PowerMac 800 w/ superdrive and 17" CRT edu $1900
eMac 700 w/ superdrive estimated edu $1400

As far as consumers go, it may not be the best option but for a school it would do fairly well I think.
Apple Education Store
 

JEdiBeavis

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
23
0
Re: Re: Re: I wonder...

Originally posted by Tekneek
Superdrive equipped eMacs have been available to the education market since its release. Check the apple educational store, they cost $1415.00.








Apple Education Store
Uh, that would be a COMBO drive, not a SUPERDRIVE.

It's like the difference between Ray Meyer and Joey Meyer (gratuitous inside DePaul reference for the mistaken fellow, whose education store link showed me where he went to school).
 

Tekneek

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2002
3
0
Chicago
Re: Re: Re: Re: I wonder...

Originally posted by JEdiBeavis


Uh, that would be a COMBO drive, not a SUPERDRIVE.

It's like the difference between Ray Meyer and Joey Meyer (gratuitous inside DePaul reference for the mistaken fellow, whose education store link showed me where he went to school).
Oops. You're right. I don't know what I was thinking. lol :D
 

TechLarry

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2002
142
0
Re: I wonder...

Originally posted by groovebuster
... who would buy an eMac with a SuperDrive??? :confused:

Does that make sense from a marketing point of view? That way even less people would buy an iMac, when the only difference is the LCD monitor...

groovebuster
A lot of people. It would be the lowest-cost DVD production machine available.

TL
 

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
I just wanted to point out that spymac was wrong...again!:D

Groovebuster, looks like the only difference is the LCD screen...and a "big" difference it is. Don't forget the price, and those that still like CRTs!

Ok, sorry for bringing back this dead thread...hehe.
 

Gigglebyte

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2002
41
0
Jedi - if you check again you will see the e-mac with a superdrive for $1,499 and the regular apple store and I think it is $1,449 at the edu store. The combo drive is on the entry level e-mac
 

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Originally posted by Gigglebyte
Jedi - if you check again you will see the e-mac with a superdrive for $1,499 and the regular apple store and I think it is $1,449 at the edu store. The combo drive is on the entry level e-mac
That was before the eMac was updated with the superdrive. Back then (last week) there was no superdrive eMac.

Note to self: never comment on practically dead threads...some of the comments won't make sense anymore.:)