Superduper backup to hard drive via Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Darl Bundren, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Darl Bundren macrumors newbie

My wife wants to back up her Macbook Pro (running Leopard, I think); I am planning on using Superduper. Can I set the target disk for backups as an external hard drive attached to our Airport Extreme and backup using our wireless network? Or does the backup drive need to be attached to the laptop?

2. niksimpsons macrumors member

niksimpsons

Hey Bundern! I was also in the same critical situation some days back but reason was some what different I was upgrading the some Mac applications and so I wanted to create backup. I have used Stellar Clone for the same purpose. I really found the software so easy & less time taking.
    I have attached my external drive directly to the laptop and it worked well.

3. dukefan71 macrumors newbie

Yes you can. Excerpt from the support manual:

"Backing up over a network

Backing up to a network volume with SuperDuper! is as easy as backing up
    to a local volume, with a few special considerations."

I haven't tried it, but if it's like anything else from SD, it will work very easily. The manual goes on to detail how to do it.

You could also drop a line to the developer. He is very quick to respond.

Edit: didn't notice you were running Leopard, and I didn't specifically check on compatibility for that OS.

4. 390kwt macrumors newbie

as probably the least techie person on this board, i have configured a seagate drive attached to my airport extreme and back up wirelessly from my MBP. the drive had to be formatted for the MAC and then i pointed the time machine to the hard drive.

5. willieva macrumors 6502

This has not worked for me. If the disk is formatted per the superduper instructions(ntfs), then my time capsule can't see it. If it's formatted as macos journaled then the time capsule can see it but superduper doesn't.

Is there something funky where time capsules can't see drives that an AE can?

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I am interested in your experience here. I am also doing this and having considerable difficulty it making it reliable. The first problem is that it is extremely slow, it took me five or more days to back up about 180G and I was using ethernet not wireless.

Secondly after a couple of days i can see the drive and read from it but cannot write to it unless I switch the drive off and back on.

Third problem is that after using TM Backup for three or four days it would suddenly report that the identity of my airport extreme disk has changed
    and it then starts a completely new backup taking another five days.

I am ready to abandon the attempt and go back to a USB drive which never gave me any problems.

7. niksimpsons macrumors member

niksimpsons

+1 nebo1ss! This happened with me some days back. I was trying to backup my 250GB hard drive, I have wasted 5-7 days in doing so. Then I tried Super duper but problem I faced was that the hard drive lost its recognition! Time capsule was not reading the hard drive. Since I had wasted my 5-7 days so I was in need some thing that can backup quickly. So I went directly for clone!!