SuperDuper! with Ext drive question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vicliner, Jun 6, 2010.

1. vicliner macrumors newbie

Hi, Hope someone can help:
    I have an external hard drive connected to my Imac I7 via firewire 800. I also have SuperDuper! set up to do scheduled backups. Everything's probably working as it should.

This is what happens: Upon waking my Imac, my ext. HD winds up for approx. 5 minutes or so and then winds back down. As Im working, say over an hour, It can wind up and down easily 3-4 times.

This what I want: I want the ext. HD to engage (or wind up), only when SuperDuper starts a scheduled backup. And not engage at sporadic times or intervals while I'm working. I've tried the unmounting, but not ejecting from disk utilities, but does not seem to make a difference.

Maybe it's not possible, which is okay as well, but I've paid the premium for SD and was hoping to set up the schedule, and have the HD engage only when SD asks it to and not constantly when I have no apparent input to the HD. Hope what I'm trying to get across is clear.
    Vicliner

2. danthespaceman macrumors member

Have you figured this out yet? I am very interested in the solution to this problem too. I have an older, larger 1TB Lacie that is quite loud when spinning up.