Supply issues on launch day+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimbo1mcm, Sep 16, 2013.

1. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

It seems like all the pieces are falling into place, that the 5S available supplies on launch day are going to be VERY limited. Vodaphone and O2 say you won't be able to get them on launch day, but just order them. Probably the only real certainty is an Apple store, and then you better be early. In the US, I would be real hesitant to count on getting what I want at a Best Buy, Target or Radio Shack. They might get a few, but Apple is going to give most of them to the Apple Stores.

I have been in contact with a Verizon, non-corporate store and the manager will let me know when they have some stock. If I don't hear anything by Thursday evening, I am going to the Apple store, early. Be very careful about signing any contracts without the phone in hand. Some of these outfits want you to sign a contract and tell you it definitely will be in on launch day, then on launch day they tell you that they had a problem, and you will get in "soon".

2. wxman2003 Suspended

This is exactly what happened when the 5 came out. Many of the authorized resellers did not get a supply in until a week later, while the corporate stores had a limited supply. I remember posts on this forum about people who preordered at radio Shack, Wall mart, etc, only to find out those stores never got any phones for first day of sale. In fact many, did not get phones for weeks. Your best bet is to order online. Whereas Apple wants you to stand in line outside their stores, the carriers would rather have you order online instead of trying to deal with people wanting to get iphones and dealing with people opening the box, inspecting for minor flaws and on an on.

3. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Here in the US, the order of priority seems to be:

1. Apple
    2. Major carriers
    3. Other retailers
    It's always been that way.

4. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Every year I hear the same story. The supply will be VERY limited? You work for Apple? NO ONE knows for sure until Friday.

Agree with previous poster, best shot is Apple or order it at 12:01PST and wait for delivery.

5. karmatourer, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013

karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

I am in a tiny percentage who got a 5 on release day at Radio Shack last year.I was #1 on the list-they called,I went,done deal.Others weren't as fortunate.I am # 2 this year.

6. applhipstr macrumors member

The stores are going to get a few hundred. They won't get anything in the thousands.

So delays are coming, trust me.

Apple doesn't want to overship. When you order online, you're put through a sophisticated system.

7. 617aircav Suspended

I will be ordering with two different laptops and credit cards at the same time. Fingers crossed.