Support ATM for OS X! Sign the petition!

Skandranon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2002
North Carolina
Please sign it!

I've been there at least five times over the course of the past few months... if you're reading this, take two minutes out of your day to help in our efforts to restore one of the most valuable utilities that has ever existed on the Mac.

Adobe: If you're reading this, get your ass on bringing us ATM. For the love of God!

JupiterZen

macrumors regular
Re: Support ATM for OS X! Sign the petition!

Just wondering why people think Suitcase is so bad?

I used ATM under OS 7/8/9 and was a little worried when I read there wouldn't be an OS X version. I switched to Suitcase for OS X and it works the same, does the same and seems to do the job for me.

So why is eveybody complaining so hard?

[edit]
But I must admit that Extensis could do something about the speed. But it has never crashed on me ones. And I have a have a rather large archive of fonts.
[/edit]

Originally posted by eyelikeart
For all of u designers out there who were bummed out at having to switch from ATM to Suitcase...

http://www.atmforosx.org/

Rogue

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2002
Font reserve is a good option

Suitcase is not the only font manager out there.
Font Reserve works good.

jkojima

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
Okay, it's signed. Of course, just be thankful that you don't use Windows. I'm struggling with the built-in font management (or more accurately, the absence of any management features.) I may be wrong, but I think ATM for Windows development was halted long ago.

Unfortunately for the petition, I think ATM might not fit with Adobe's "Network Publishing" strategy. That being said, it'd be great if they could at the very least sell off the product to another developer.

There's obviously still a market for this product, albeit a relatively small niche one.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
we want it because...

1) ATM is much quicker, and allows duplication of fonts within sets (useful when running different versions of fonts from multiple clients, etc)

2) ATM is less likely to crash due to a corrupt font than Suitcase (it also will run more fonts than Suitcase, in my experience).

3) Adobe Type Reunion, which runs along with ATM, allows for stashing all fonts of the same name w/variations in their own folders within applications (rather than giving me a list of every damned font in a HUGE list that goes on forever!)

4) I've been using ATM for 4 years now, and have no desire to give it up due to ignorance on Adobe's part.

so who else has their reasons? ;)

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
Re: we want it because...

1) ATM is much quicker, and allows duplication of fonts within sets (useful when running different versions of fonts from multiple clients, etc)

2) ATM is less likely to crash due to a corrupt font than Suitcase (it also will run more fonts than Suitcase, in my experience).

3) Adobe Type Reunion, which runs along with ATM, allows for stashing all fonts of the same name w/variations in their own folders within applications (rather than giving me a list of every damned font in a HUGE list that goes on forever!)

4) I've been using ATM for 4 years now, and have no desire to give it up due to ignorance on Adobe's part.

so who else has their reasons? ;)
In a nutshell you want Type Reunion not ATM I had use both and found Suitcase to be better just the main window gives you a preview of the font you'd selected as ATM makes you open a whole new window also suitcase allows you to print font books and auto-activates fonts as you need then in the document.
One thing, I do miss type reunion but in OSX if the program uses OS X font management features the fonts show up their variations. ei InDesign works fine as well as Illustrator and photoshop but freehand does not (hello!! Macromedia are you there?)
Cheers

Inhale420

macrumors regular
May 4, 2002
dont you think it's a little too late? i use suitcase now, which makes font previewing a lot easier. no point in switching, and then switching back

Inhale420

macrumors regular
May 4, 2002
Re: we want it because...

these points don't make sense since ATM for os x doesn't exist. you can't compare performance from the 9.x version of ATM to extensis for os x.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.