Support Catalan Independence!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BigAppleNYC123, Oct 4, 2017.

1. BigAppleNYC123 macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Catalonians need our support in their independence drive. Post in your social media that you support Catalonian independence. The Catalans live in a most welcoming part of spain, a region which includes the amazing city Barcelona, in addition to the islands of Ibiza, Mallorca, and Formentera (together known as Baleria). Catalonia has amazing food, and a terrific culture which prizes enjoying life. Sun, siesta, dinner, and friends. Catalonia forever! All of humanity for Catalonia!

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAX4AAAAJGZlY2Y2ODY3LWUwYmItNDQ3OC1iYzM3LTljMzgzZGI4MWRjMA.jpg catalonia_3081538k.jpg DLCPFoiXkAAm8ba.jpg-large.jpeg

2. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I don’t say this kind of stuff easily but... King Felipe is awful.

(I love Barcelona!)

3. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Why do you support Catalonian independence?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 4, 2017 ---
    Barcelona is cool. :)

4. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Barcelona is the best! Padron peppers, feed them to me!!!

5. edk99 macrumors 6502a

OP your post makes no references to "WHY" should I care.

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I visited only once, but boy what a city! I never felt so welcomed as in Barcelona. People were offering me cigars, food... even people I never met and I will never met again. Truly an unforgivable experience.
    And being in front of Gaudi’s architectural masterpieces...wow. Just wow.

7. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Catalonia is a distinct region in Spain. The culture and people are different than the rest of Spain. There is historical precedent for an independent Catalonia. The Spanish government is taking an incredibly aggressive tactic towards Catalans. They should support the referendum and respect the results. The UK respected the Scotland and BREXIT referendums. Spain needs to follow suit. Catalonia is to Spain as Scotland is to Britain.

8. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Anyone who supports self-determination or democracy should care.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

While I really don’t have a position on Catalan independence even if I lean towards localism and self-determinism, what the Spanish government did was awful. And stupid. There was no way that the referendum was going to pass, everyone knew it. The no was at about 65% in the polls. Instead King Felipe and his minions were so afraid that they called in for unjustified violence. The political solution was so easy. Have the referendum, if the no wins leave it like that for the next twenty years as “the people has spoken”. If the yes won, just say that it was illegal and impossible to certify, after the fact.

If anything I would now support Catalan independence just because I think anyone should stay as far as possible from such an idiotic government and ruler.

10. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Catalans prove they’re more strategic and smarter than the Spanish. Another reason to set them free :)

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

No joke. I have never seen such an idiotic reaction by a central government. I couldn’t believe my eyes up to the point that I kept switching from American news and Italian news to see if it was real.

12. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

There is no excuse for the Spanish Government reaction.

Curious about how you feel about US States who have succession movements, and what about the US Civil War?

I’ve got mixed feeling on the subject. I’m against the South’s position during US Civil War, and I look at the people behind the Texas succession movement, it’s not a thought out position for a State on the fiscal edge, in fact any State would have trouble by itself covering the cost of an event like Harvey.

13. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Personally I don’t care anymore if America has an amicable divorce. I have more in common with people in Catalonia holland and Denmark than I do with people in Montana Oklahoma and North Dakota.

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

As an adopted Texan I can tell you my view. I am not against separatist movements, meaning that I think that they should have the right of explaining, and pursuing their political goal. If by any chance they can reach the ballots, even through some legal escamotage, I think that people should have the right to vote. Any other means (violence, cohercion, etc.) is unacceptable.
    :mad::mad: We don’t want you yankees down here :mad::mad::mad:

:p:p:p:p:p:p;)

15. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I’m not positioning to attack you, but I’m curious if you immigrated here or were born here and what your ethnic background is? PM me if you’d rather not say in the thread.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Excusatio non petita, accusatio manifesta :p

17. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

So philosophically do you support the attempted succession of the South in the US Civil War? I have a position about the Civil War, yet I am torn with the idea that democratically, people should have the right to self determination.

For consideration:
    Did the South Have the Right to Secede From the North During the American Civil War?
    http://classroom.synonym.com/did-th...h-during-the-american-civil-war-12085524.html
    According to this article, Supreme Court has ruled States don’t have a right to bail, but I realize that in itself does not settle the philosophical debate.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Tough question, really tough.
    Philosophically and in abstract, probably yes. Granted, I don’t recall many referendums about the South seceding from the North, so there is an important difference there. I would not accept, philosophically speaking, a secession that does not involve popular vote. Also, it would have to go through a parliamentary iter, which would not be simple. The civil war is not really the case I would support.
    Today a state seceding from the US would be pretty useless. Our federal system leaves quite a bit of independence to the states, even if there is continuous tension between the Feds and the States.

19. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Too late! Lots of Yankees have infiltrated The Lone Star State! :p;)

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

We have a good political consultant that will greatly help with the issue:

[​IMG]
    Let me ask you this then.
    Did the colonies have the right to secede from the Brits?

21. Huntn, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Possibly the reverse, just have to release the Hispanics to actively vote their politics. :p
    This is what it boils down to, despite the philosophical positions, the bottom line is that it’s the physical capabilities of the participants that determine the outcome, ie might makes right. If England had won the US War for Indeoendence, they would have been right, and we would have been wrong. However, even if we had lost, looking at the outcome of all the other colonies, we most likely would still be independent today, although we might have a House of Lords. ;)

22. niploteksi macrumors regular

I do not support the Catalan in any way, it's the usual cry baby whining about being treated unfairly by the poorer parts of the country. If they leave Spain they should be kicked out of the EU and isolated from the rest of Europe as well.

23. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

My great grand parents immigrated here in 1900-1915 time period.
    Cry baby whining? That's an immature way to describe desire for self rule.

24. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I was wondering if there is an ethnic tie to Catalonia or if this is your general view regarding succession? ...rhetorical comment . Thanks.

I don’t currently have a position regarding Catalonian Independence, but the Spanish Government screwed up with their violent reaction to the attempt to hold a vote.

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Precisely. And now that the heads of the Mossos (Catalonia’s police) risk 10 years of jail as the Spanish government just recalled them for an investigation and possible charge, Catalonia independists got a police force that will fight for them.