"Support for the LGBT Community" section on Whitehouse.gov!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by todd2000, Jan 21, 2009.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Sure is a change from the previous administration. Lets just hope they can actually follow through with these promises. Just acknowledging the issues that face our community is a step in the right direction, especially compared to Bush. I doubt Bush even knew what the Stonewall riots were. :)

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That's pretty cool. Hopefully we'll see some real progress.

3. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Awesome! I can't wait for this to start kicking in.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Don't expect much (I hate to be Debbie Downer, but someone has to :().

I think Obama is going to be fairly silent during his first term on gay rights issues. If he's reelected, however, expect to see more movement then (and if the Democrats still control Congress).

The most important thing Obama can do now can be boiled down into one essential truth: judges, judges, judges!

5. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I'd welcome the change, but I'm going to have to agree with CalBoy.

Don

6. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'm cautiously optimistic. Don't Ask, Don't Tell will go pretty quickly. My guess is that he's going to work out a compromise, maybe civil unions for the issue of gay marriage. I really get the impression that he thinks it's an important issue.

I agree that the judges are the best thing he could do for everyone and I wonder how much longer until we see a Supreme Court Justice hand in a resignation.

7. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

With the world as volatile as it is, Obama cannot afford to push issues into a second term that may simply not come his way, I believe.

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Don't Ask Don't Tell is something we shouldn't even be talking about in 2009. It's an embarrassment on our nation's history. Obama's quick movement to end that policy, I think, shows where his heart lies, but also signals the pace at which he is going to move. Dealing with a 16+ year-old issue isn't cutting edge.
    Funny thing that...I was going to start a thread on that very thing today. :)
    Democratic presidents have the luxury to push gay rights and other social issues into their second terms because we have no other options at the ballot box.

If Obama is clever (and I think it is quite clear that he is), he will avoid the issue until after his reelection bid in order to avoid charges that he is a "bleeding heart liberal" by the next evangelical to run from the Republican Party.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Let me tell you both something right now:

If Obama were not serious about this, it wouldn't be on the WH website. Guantanamo has already been ordered closed. Don't think that he won't be serious about what's mentioned here too, he will.

The Dark Times are over, young padawan. Keep your chins up, and expect and demand our rights.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Sorry Lee, but having taken enough political science classes, I'm not going to hold my breath.

At most, we'll see the end of Don't Ask Don't Tell and the severe restrictions on adoption at the Federal level.

Civil unions/gay marriage is too messy an issue for Obama to deal with in his first term with a crappy economy, Bush torture tactics to end, and the host of other problems we have.

Obama will be setting the right tone though, and I'm sure we're going to see Federal grant money go towards some gay outreach programs, etc. Just don't expect him or Harry Reid to take on any tough gay rights issues for the next four years.

Nancy Pelosi might be ready (she did try to pass the Matthew Shepard Act in 2007, it failed in the Senate IIRC), but we have to remember that her district is San Francsico.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course he will. But you make it sound as if nothing will happen for us in the first term. It's going to- absolutely.

In the meantime, I don't want to hear sniveling. It's time the scream louder than ever. NOW- not the second term. NOW.

Don't Ask, Don't Tell will be first. DOMA will be next. If you don't see those as major things to happen in Obama's first term, I don't know what to tell you- given what we've gotten from other presidents which is NOTHING.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I agree with you. He is serious about it, but I also don't think that he knows how to make it happen. That's why I think there will be some effort to find a compromise. It's also why Rick Warren was elevated beyond his position:D Any serious effort to change the DOMA has to involve the evangelicals.

Bringing people together is what Obama is about. Getting them to agree on something is in great measure up to us.

13. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Gay rights? Maybe. Gay Marriage? Absolutely not.:(

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You have been a feisty one lately too. I need to sit you, Calboy and Dmac in a corner for a time-out I think.

You guys! This is the closest we have ever come to a president actually giving a crap, and all you can do is complain!

This is NOT the time to complain. Get loud! Write as many e-mails and letters as you can. Get your butts to the protests! This is where it begins.

It starts with us.

15. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I'm just being realistic, Lee.

PS - if you're gonna put us in time-out, does that include getting spanked? :p

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That may be, but it sounds more like cynicism to me. You get nowhere thinking that way.

Only if you're really good. ;) :D

17. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Ooooooo! I'll be an angel o:)

:D

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You youngins... :D Behave yourselves!

19. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Tape it and maybe you guys could make some money. :p

Has anyone challenged the DoMA with regards to its conflict with the full faith and credit clause? Or is the US Constitution just a speedbump in the way of "protecting marriage"?

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Don't encourage them. :)

I'm not aware of any such challenge at the moment.

21. Queso macrumors G4

I'll point out at this point that it took our own Labour Party seven years to achieve everything it wanted to do for LGBT rights, yet since taking power in 1997 they have:-

• achieved an equal age of consent (16 for all)
    • ended the ban on LGBT people serving in our armed forces
    • ended discrimination against Lesbian & Gay partners for immigration purposes
    • given LGBT people the right to adopt children
    • scrapped the homophobic Section 28 (Clause 2a in Scotland) banning "promotion" of homosexuality in schools
    • become a signatory of the Treaty of Amsterdam, which gave the EU powers to end discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation
    • banned discrimination in the workplace and in vocational training with the introduction of the Employment Equality (Sexual Orientation) Regulations
    • put in place legislation for the creation of the Equality and Human Rights Commission(EHRC) which will give LGBT people statutory body protection
    • widened the definition of hate crimes, and increased sentencing for homophobic hate crimes
    • removed outdated offences such as gross indecency and buggery
    • produced and implemented the Gender Recognition Act, allowing Trans people to have their true gender recognised in law
    • created the Civil Partnerships Act, allowing LGB people to have their loving relationships recognised by law and have the same benefits as married couples.
    • outlawed discrimination in good and services (with no exceptions)

So it takes time, but if the will is there it will happen eventually. Give the new administration a chance.

22. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

But being naughty is sooooooo much more fun! :D:p

23. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm the kind of person who prepares for the worst, so for the moment I have to set myself up to assume that Obama can and will do nothing.

That way, I don't forget the cause, and I won't be disappointed when he doesn't help us as much as we would like to believe.

I doubt it. Any attempt to overturn DOMA would be met by a full filibuster in the Senate.

The only chance of DOMA being overturned during Obama's first term is dependent on the Supreme Court, and there aren't enough votes for that to happen yet.

There are no challenges yet, and there probably won't be until at least one of non-liberal justices is replaced.
    All of the things in blue are things that aren't present in US law to my knowledge.

To think that Obama can accomplish even half of these things within 4 years and with a Republican Senate minority that is willing to filibuster, is a bit optimistic I think.

You also mentioned that it took Labour 7 years to accomplish these things, in a nation with decidedly fewer veto points than the United States and with a much lower rate of religious adherence.

For those reasons, I'm not going to be overly hopeful for the first term.

It's in Obama's second term (and the judicial appointments it comes with) that I think the real meat and potatoes of LGBT rights lies.