Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
WYNNEWOOD, Pa. -- Eight-year-old Alexandra Scott, in a battle against malignant tumors, wants to raise $1 million for cancer research. And she just might do it, one lemonade stand at a time.

Alex started selling lemonade four years ago with one stand and raised $2,000 in a single day. Each year brought more stands, staffed by friends and volunteers.

The take so far: more than $200,000, including $15,000 brought in last year by the stand at the Scotts' suburban Philadelphia home.

"She's determined about anything that's important to her, whether it's what kind of ice cream she's eating or raising money," said Alex's mother, Liz Scott. "I think [the stand] does keep her going sometimes."

Today, each of the 50 states will have at least one "Alex's Lemonade Stand" open for business. Alex's father, Jay Scott, estimates that as many as 1,000 stands will be pouring the cold concoction.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/06/12/support_pouring_in_for_girls_cancer_fight/

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I must have missed the website in the article. Where would one send money or volunteer?

It is a story which is both inspiring and so terribly sad. Cancer is never good, but it is heartwrenching in children. They are heroic about it, though. Children with cancer are the bravest people I've ever met.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
that's a very special little girl... how terrible that the doctors are so pessimistic about her chances at this point.

How much does a glass of this lemonade cost? (obviously the lemonade isn't the point, but I'm just curious how many donations it has taken for her to reach the $150,000 that she gave already)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
jsw said:
I must have missed the website in the article. Where would one send money or volunteer?

It is a story which is both inspiring and so terribly sad. Cancer is never good, but it is heartwrenching in children. They are heroic about it, though. Children with cancer are the bravest people I've ever met.

Yes, children are very resilent. She is a very brave young lady. I pray that she will be successful with her personal health and her plans to reach her goal of $1 million for cancer research.

http://www.alexslemonade.com/

http://www.philafound.org/Alexslemonade.html

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
This is one remarkable girl. It shows just one person can do to better life for everyone.

That being said, I don't want to to be a spoiler, what about the The Philadelphia Foundation that is acting as a source of donation collection for Alexandra? It appears that $3000 is needed to start a "fund" within the foundation. I guess I am gun shy after the group that ran the AIDS Rides was making major profit from donations.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Chip NoVaMac said:
This is one remarkable girl. It shows just one person can do to better life for everyone.

That being said, I don't want to to be a spoiler, what about the The Philadelphia Foundation that is acting as a source of donation collection for Alexandra? It appears that $3000 is needed to start a "fund" within the foundation. I guess I am gun shy after the group that ran the AIDS Rides was making major profit from donations.

yeah, it's a horrible thought but what if somebody's abusing the situation? that's a lot of money to be floating about... it's not nice to have to even consider it, but some people will sink that low! (not saying that this is a scam...)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
My sister is one of those that seems to find "those in need" all the time. Even charities like the Whitman Walker Clinic here in DC have have issues with because of the salaries that are paid to the management of the clinic.

Wish I had gone to school in management so that I could head something like the United Way of the DC Area at a salary that would allow me to live OK (about $75K to $100K) as opposed to the $300K+ that these jokers get. All in the name of charity.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
cjc343 said:
There are many ways to fight Cancer.... I don't have the money to donate, or the time, so I donate my spare CPU cycles.

That is all that can really be expected. Each person should contribute according to their means.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.