Suppose iLife 07 and a new iMac come out on August 7...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by queshy, Jul 18, 2007.

1. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

What would the apple retail stores do? Do they just throw away all the iMacs on display and replace them with the new ones in the morning that they receive them? What about the ones they have in the back? And will they still sell computers with iLife 06 for a bit, or do they just ship all of their stock back to apple (iMacs, mb, mbps, etc). I always wondered...it seems kind of wasteful to just stop selling the old models.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think a lot of them do get shipped back -- some of them get liquidated out to resellers, some of them end up in the refurb stock, some of them get discounted down by the stores. But I'm pretty sure the Apple stores typically stop selling the old model immediately as "new" units. They certainly don't get destroyed or thrown away, though.

3. c.joe.go macrumors regular

c.joe.go

some info.

when apple releases new products, especially form-factor changes. the retail stores do an extra late shift, most stores do this a day after a release, to do a planogram change. they put the old demos in their inventory to sell discounted of course, ship back sealed models, and work on the new products (cables, security cables, software, etc). get access to your local shopping mall late a night or two after a new release and walk past your local apple retail store. you will see the friendly faces of apple workers busy as hell bringing the floor up to date with the corporate guidelines.

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Well, there goes my idea of rooting around the dumpster in hopes of finding obsolete intel iMacs. ;)

5. queshy thread starter macrumors 68040

queshy

lmao but what do you suppose apple does with the sealed, new units they get shipped back from the retail stores? well never know, lol

6. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I actually got a powermac on the clearance part of the Apple Store Website the week after they were bumped a few years ago - a nice discount too - that is one possible place to find them.

7. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

As far as iLife, I'd assume that they simply hand you an installation disk for iLife '07 with your purchase if you get a Mac with only iLife '06 after '07 has come out.

8. c.joe.go macrumors regular

c.joe.go

iLife

no. you would not be given a disk for a new iLife, if one came out after your system had been packaged. you would have to buy an updated version on your own.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I got my iMac G5 out of the dumpster behind the Apple Store after the new ones with built in iSights came out. :rolleyes: