Supreme Court blocks Texas anti-abortion law

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Jun 29, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

For now, anyway, while they decide whether to take up the appeal of the Constitutionality of said law. This is one of the strictest anti-abortion laws in the country. If left standing, this right wing tactic will spread like wildfire through the anti-choice South and close most abortion clinics. If SCOTUS allowed this law to take effect, it would close all but 9 abortion clinics in Texas. Good job again, SCOTUS! They're on a roll this year!

Link

2. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

In light of shady abortion doctors like Kermit Gosnell, tighter restrictions on abortion clinics should be a good thing.

3. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Yeah, cause all activities that can involve shady people should be shut down!

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

They would have to shut down Congress then too! :D

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Does that mean the entire state of Texas is going to be shut down?

6. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Tighter restrictions that would shut down the shadier clinics? Why not?

7. ElectronGuru, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015

ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

You're unlikely to find a harsher critic of the US medical system than I but if there is a clinic with a shady person, you close the person not the clinic. The why-not speaks for itself: abortions aren't something available outside of specialized clinics. So specialized clinics are to important to handle casually.

If there are real abuses going on, if clinics are inherently unsuited to the job, the solution needs to include opening new options while closing old. Like having services in actual hospitals. But I'm going to guess the higher scrutiny being applied here is less about protecting patients and more about protecting religious sensibilities.

8. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

that is not what the law does it forces regulations that have nothing to do with abortion onto clinics. what you think texas cares about women? they have cut medical care over and over for them. Texas has one of the highest teen pregnancy rates and the worst medical care. but they care about safe abortions? They let chemical plants operate next to schools but they care about children?

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

One of the biggest issues with this law has not been the "tighter restrictions" but the ability for a lot of the doctor's in these clinics to get admitting privileges in some hospitals. Especially rural hospitals.

If this law was to go through there would be a lot of women in the rural parts of Texas who would be hundreds and hundreds of miles away from a clinic.

If Texas truly cared about the health of women, they would stop trying to push these laws on us. They've already declared war against Planned Parenthood and just submitted a budget removing PP's cancer screening programs. Because apparently they don't care whether or not low income women get cancer...

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Let's start a gofundme account for Texas so they can go ahead and secede.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Just move the Mexican border north.

12. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I think a lot of people in Texas would be all for that.

13. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Are taxpayers paying for abortions in Texas? If so, they should not.

14. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

That has nothing to do with this thread. But that's ok, you have your own agenda.

15. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

I am asking a question. If you want abortions then pay with your own dime.

16. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

No.

17. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

How about California secedes since it's so welcoming to the illegal alien criminals?

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Who drove them into the shade?

19. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Yes, if clinics are not having these systematic problems in other states, it points to a management problem. We could just have other states manage the clinics for Texas if they are unable to do it themselves.

20. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

In those states actively eradicating the service, there is no concern for it as a legitimate service, just reasons to eliminate it.

21. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

States Rights.

22. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Yes of course, but I'm trying to take GF at his word:

That these clinics are indeed defective and we therefore need a solution. Of course, if we can't find an alternative solution, the one they have will need to continue.

OTOH, his patient advocacy may not be sincere.

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Thread Revival

This morning on PBS they were discussing the latest iteration of the State of Texas restricting abortions now using a mother's health argument. It's been noted that requiring doctors to have admitting privileges with a local hospital has nothing to do with the competence of the doctor involved in an abortion, just another squash type restriction. And that the argument about shabby conditions has all ready been regulated by Texas in the 1980s as part of general health standards.

There is an interesting parallel (my take not PBS's)- The Second Amendment vs Roe Vs Wade. Both are the law of the land, Second Amendment rights advocates are arguing there should be minimal if any regulations regarding gun ownership, but for Roe Vs Wade, Texas has instituted about a 1000 regulative restrictions to hinder abortion. It's obvious to me is the ultimate goal is to eradicate abortion while Roe vs Wade remains in force. The interesting thing is that while Religious Conservative bend over backwards to eradicate abortion, they want hands off regarding their precious guns, that can be argued with ease is a much larger threat to human life than an abortion clinic.

24. Gjwilly, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016

Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Could you expand on that?
    I have no great interest in this debate but that small section of the law at least sounds like a reasonable requirement.
    Why isn't it?

Right. Both are laws but one is a black and white delineated constitutional right dating back to the founding of the country and one is an interpretation made by a court 40 years ago.
    You can see that some might not weigh the two exactly equally, can't you?

For the record I'm glad abortion is legal and hope that it stays that way.

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It was explained during the discussion on PBS. As I understand it, hospitals want Drs who bring in business and while obviously a good reputation is desired, they don't give admitting privileges to every competent Doctor who asks for it, especially if they don't live in the area which is not an unusual case for doctors who perform abortions.

It's simple, every law is subject to regulations. However, for abortions, there so many regulations (don't ask me what they are, it was mentioned in the show, 1000 regulations) as to make it unavailable. There were 40 abortion clinics in Texas previous to this last iteration. Now there are 9 and Texas is a big place. My point was if "protecting life" is important, a good argument is the less guns the better. However at the State level these are both valid laws, but these two issues are being handled in opposite manners based on the preferences of State lawmakers in disregard for the spirit of the law.