Supreme Court Justice Scalia Dead At Age 79

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ucfgrad93, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Just when you thought the 2016 presidential election couldn't get any crazier...

Hold on to your hats, people!

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Obama will presumably pick a conservative to replace him.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I'll believe it when I see it

5. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I rarely agreed with him on the hot button topics he is involved in, but he was obviously a very smart individual with a difficult job. RIP

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

All his other picks have been lesbians so maybe he'll pick Hillary.

7. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The media will relentlessly question Hillary and Bernie about who they think Obama should nominate to the bench and they must attack each others choice. That will provide some mighty entertaining debate moments. Hillary will certainly nominate a black female (Oprah?) to pander to the SC primary voters, but I wonder who Bernie will chose?

The GOP will get this question as well, but to a lesser degree.

9. steve knight, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016

steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I guess he has learned if god was happy with him or not.

10. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Well people can stop wondering if Justice Ginsberg will retire... at least for a week or so.

May Scalia rest in peace.

11. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

You know what? Good. Scalia was a schmuck who couldn't tell the Bible from the Constitution.

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I'm sure he could. I've seen the Constitution and it doesn't look anything like a Bible.

13. Robisan macrumors 6502

Shameless stolen from twitter:

This would be an excellent day for Justice Clarence Thomas to continue his tradition of just doing whatever Justice Scalia does.​

Endorsed!

14. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

May he rest in peace.

Not surprised by some of the comments here, especially the ones that posted them.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I concur. Honestly, the man had a family and many friends. How much will it cost anyone today to show some respect for their time of sorrow even if you despised every opinion Justice Scalia ever wrote (which is doubtful; you might take a look at a few some time).

His opinions were widely seen as models of clarity even by people who did not agree with many of them.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

17. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, it seems compassion, courtesy, and respect are things some people just don't care about.

18. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

If a liberal justice had died SOME conservatives would gloat as well IMHO. Condolences to the family

19. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I wonder how they did it. A little polonium in the marinara sauce? A pinch of cyanide in the grappa? Or perhaps a random umbrella poke on a rainy Texas day? In any case, Hillary obviously knows the indictments are coming down and she is prepping the SCOTUS for her inevitable appeals process.

Bernie might want have a Geiger counter the next time he noshes on his knish.

20. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

True, sadly, it just goes to show how divided we are as a country.

21. vrDrew macrumors 65816

While there were numerous Court decisions and opinions made by Scalia that I disagreed with; one has to admire and respect both his legal scholarship and his commitment to upholding the integrity of the United States Constitution and the rule of law generally.

To me, one of his most important rulings was the Heller case; which overturned Washington DC's blanket ban on handgun ownership by private citizens. While many liberals were disappointed by that ruling, I think a fair-minded person could see that such a broad law clearly was at odds with the words of the Second Amendment. But perhaps less well known - but ultimately more important - was that the Heller opinion outlined three clear exceptions that were, in Scalia and the other majority Justice's opinions, lawful: That there could be legal limits on the types of weapons; that there could be limits on the right to carry concealed weapons; that the Government had the right to restrict ownership from felons and the mentally ill; and that laws could prevent the carrying of weapons in sensitive places. In Justice Scalia's own words:

Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited.

I do wish, sometimes, that some of our gun enthusiast community would keep that phrase in mind. For their good as much as anyone else's.

Lastly; the sad passing of Justice Scalia will create an opportunity for Barack Obama to appoint at least one more Associate Justice before his term ends. Adding to the impressive picks of Sotomayor and Kagan - this will further cement President Obama's mark on the future of this country.

22. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Horrible timing. The last thing we need is another ****ing statist on the SCOTUS.

23. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

The last great mind on that bench. Funny, engaging, sharp as a tack.

His best friend on The Court was his ideological opposite: Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

24. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Utah Senator Mike Lee's communications director predictably and immediately tweeted this

What is less than zero? The chances of Obama successfully appointing a Supreme Court Justice to replace Scalia?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.