Supreme Court Rejects DADT Challenge; Obama's White House Defends DADT

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stevento, Jun 8, 2009.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

A seargent was discharged from the military for disclosed homosexuality and tried to take it to court but...
    link
    My commentary: It's good to see that the government has backbone and is upholding this policy, and not wavering to the whim of the gay rights movement.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Considering how much Obama turned into Bush after assuming the Presidency maybe he is Condi's and George's kid.

I have a few left to very leaning friends and they are all foaming at the mouth over Obama now... gung ho and practically in love with him during the election many are spitting mad now at all of his turn abouts.

As to the article, the UCMJ would have to be updated, the thing even allows the military to punish for adultery.

4. Queso macrumors G4

5. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Ah yes, another great time to pull out the old:

[​IMG]

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

So a great speech about gay rights and then taking a play straight from the homophobe's playbook. Smooth.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Uh...how about it? I sent an e-mail to the White House already. I suggest all of us who are appalled by this do the same.

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

This should be no surprise to anyone. In thread about Obama's speech about gay rights I posted a link to a news story about how the Pentagon and the White House have no plans to change the DADT policy.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30830397/

That story was from May 19.

9. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

With the four right wing hacks on the court this should come as no surprise. Obama is a politician like FDR who said push me to make the change. We all need to continue to push.

10. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

I saw this and remember a few years ago a couple in my squadron was brought up on Adultery charges, I was shocked the leadership went through with it. Kind of off topic I apologize :eek:

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That doesn't mean we stop fighting. If anything, we start pushing harder.

12. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Or apparently wavering to the whims of the American People or the whims of Christians:

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/...ly_churchgoers_favor_gay_service_members.html

Weekly Churchgoers Favor Gay Service Members

Support for allowing openly gay members of the military jumped 11 percentage points among weekly churchgoers, Gallup reports. That means that a majority of weekly churchgoers--60 percent--now favors permitting openly gay military members. Weekly churchgoers are generally considered the most politically and socially conservative members of religious communities.

Overall support in the U.S. for allowing openly gay men and women to serve in the military has climbed to 69 percent from 63 percent.

Gallup suggests that these numbers mean that President Barack Obama may be well-positioned to repeal the 1993 policy. It has been a major priority of gay rights groups since Obama came to office. Politico reported this week that these groups have grown increasingly frustrated with the Obama administration and its progress on gay rights issues. Obama promised during the campaign to repeal the "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

[​IMG]

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Could some one please explain the Dont Ask Dont tell policy" and the problems with it?

I ask because it seems to always be talk about being bad and things wrong but never explain. I always been kind of confused by it. Wiki was little help. I can see how in Theory it could of worked but theory and reality in things like this hardly ever line up.
    All I know now it is it a source of controversy. What would people rather the policy be and what type.

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Anyone, regardless of gender or sexuality, who wants to serve in the military can, assuming they pass the required physical and written test that is required right now.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If you're in the military and someone finds out you're gay, you get discharged. Clear enough? ;)

16. Queso macrumors G4

As I understand it, you can be gay and serve in the US military, but only if nobody ever finds out. So you can't talk about it, you can't openly have a partner, and if someone hurls abuse at you you're supposed to pretend that you're something you're not. It's a nice way to ensure that nobody ever has to consider that gay people play a part in defending the USA just as straights do, and therefore the top brass and politicians can continue to bury their heads in the sand and deny gay people equality under the law.

17. Shivetya macrumors 65816

What does the Supremes have to do with this? Right Wing hacks? They are not there to make law, only interpret it. As was right, they decided the military can set bounds and limits on its personnel that would not work in regular society.

I guess if they don't agree with you its best to call them names? lol, recess is over.

18. Queso macrumors G4

Even if it makes the military less effective as a result....

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The Court said no such thing. The case wasn't even heard.

lol- class is in session. Please pay attention. :rolleyes:

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Unfortunately for your sad talking points, the conservative wing of the SCOTUS is the MOST "activist" group, making law rather than interpreting it at a far greater rate than their more liberal counterparts.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I would really like to see this "activist" thing go away. Bush is no longer in office. Can we leave his terms behind too?

22. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

The policy has two parts.
    1. Don't Ask
    2. Don't Tell

The military isn't asking if you are gay. Keep it to yourself and you're fine. It's not only against policy to state that you are gay, but it's also against the policy to ask if someone is gay. So it's not like they are going around trying to weed out the homosexuals, and if there are cases of this happening, then it's against policy and should be terminated immediately.

23. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Then end result though is still the same you are discharged because of your sexuality.

What happens to people who disobey the Don't Ask policy and who are straight.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Pathetic.

I guess that adds to the short list of things I don't like about this administration. Somehow most of them are about gay rights, go figure.

The like list is still way longer...

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What happens to the people who ask? I don't recall anyone being discharged for asking. Please explain how that works.