Supreme Court Tie Blocks Obama Immigration Plan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FieldingMellish, Jun 23, 2016.

1. FieldingMellish Suspended

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Thursday announced that it had deadlocked in a case challenging President Obama’s immigration plan, a sharp blow to an ambitious program that Mr. Obama had hoped would become one of his central legacies. As a result, as many as five million undocumented immigrants will not be shielded from deportation or allowed to legally work in the United States.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/24/us/supreme-court-immigration-obama-dapa.html?_r=0

As adherents of the so-called Fair Immigration Reform Movement stand disillusioned and go bawling, I say, “Let’s all join in to a rousing Hip Hip Hooray!”

2. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

And Obama's response is basically "screw that... I'm gonna do what I want to do anyway..."

3. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

That's the way it's went for the past eight years... more so in the last four.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Obama's sinister plot to destroy America is thwarted for now, but the scheming continues.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    He better get to scheming hard them. He's only got a scant few months left, and we're still here. Hell, we've even still got our guns!

6. kch50428 macrumors 6502

kch50428

7. Herdfan macrumors 6502

From the article:

I wonder how many of these are some of those carrying the Mexican Flag protesting Trump. To our flag my ass.

8. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

It's cool, this ruling doesn't set a precedent. President Clinton will have this case reopened ones she finishes replacing Scalia.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 23, 2016 ---
    But gee, the righties are always telling me what a weak president he is. Are you saying that he's so strong that it makes him weak? :eek:

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

When that occurs I will protest vigorously from my cage in the FEMA camp.

10. unlinked macrumors 6502a

It is depressing when someone who thought constitutional law says something like 'Americans in every way except on paper'.

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, that's it then. We've told those damned illegals that they have to leave and can't work. This will solve everything. America is truly great again. :rolleyes:

12. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

I'm saying that he isn't respecting the balance of power that we set in place hundreds of years ago to PREVENT any one position or party from having too much control.

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I'll see your assumption, and raise another assumption of my own.

14. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Too late. The Governments already got too much power and control.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

How so? EO's aren't law. They only work so long as people are willing to implement them, and are gone the moment the president steps out of office.

This is, unfortunately, how our branches of government have to work in a situation where they're gridlocked against each other over petty partisan bickering.

16. Herdfan macrumors 6502

And we have a winner. This is the root problem in the US Government today. Compromise needs to be made, but neither side is willing. :(

17. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Because he invented executive orders?

18. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

No, because @v0lume4 doesn't understand how they work.

19. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

He can sit back and relax. He has already done enough to hurt America. Still debating on Carter or Obama though for the most negative impact on the US.

20. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

21. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

That is the problem he is creating law with them (wasn't this the reason the SC gave for the Illegal Alien issue?). You say they are gone when he leaves office. This is news to me. They can be reversed via EO with a new President can remove. Part of the issue is Obama's statement against them, but then abuses them himself.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

.The decision in no way affects how Obama enforces immigration law. The Dreamers can't get work permits though.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

No, he's not creating law with them, nor is he doing anything unprecedented. Like his illegal immigrant amnesty programs? If ICE decides his orders are too unwieldy to implement, or entirely unconstitutional, they don't have to follow a single word he says. They can stall until he leaves office, then continue on, business as usual if they so want.

Executive Orders are not law. There is no penalty for disregarding them.

24. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Nonsense.

Obama has averaged less executive orders than any President since Grover Cleveland.

25. tgara, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016

tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Apparently you don't either. The president can issue Executive Orders only to the extent that Congress has given him authority to do so. The Congress has not given the president the power he claims he has to issue these executive orders. That's why the courts have repeatedly said Obama's orders and policies on immigration are illegal.

So now the case goes back to the District Court in Brownsville, TX which is sure to be guided by an appeals court ruling that already has said, in essence, that the government probably will lose. And don't forget about the issue of serious ethical misconduct in the case by Justice Department lawyers, who the judge found had failed to keep him fully informed about whether the government was moving ahead to enforce the policy when it was being reviewed in court. Those lawyers are toast, right along with Obama's orders.