Supreme Court to hear Chicago gun case

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Let's hope the court brings down this silly gun ban.

Here's the Tribune poll results so far today. Chicago is a pretty liberal town, so this says a lot, IMO.

Attached Files:

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I wouldn't read much into a web poll that anyone in the country can vote in. Freepers are known for jumping all over these polls and voting their way as much as they can. I'd be more interested in a phone poll done professionally and strictly of Chicago residents.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

While that is true, this was breaking news at the time. Usually, these polls stay pretty local that early. I could see it getting skewed later in the day for sure. TBH, I only know a few people who support the ban, one being PlaceofDis.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I was actually expecting you to be for this gun ban. :D

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Because you and others make assumptions about people's political leanings. I have said over and over that I am not the liberal people think I am. I look at situations and see what evidence shows works best. Gun bans do NOT work, just like making drugs illegal does not work. Education is the key to reducing the risks of both.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I can understand why a city like Chicago would want to ban guns. However, the constitution is clear on this issue--law abiding citizens have the right to bear arms. I'm not sure why this keeps getting challenged in court.

Nevertheless, even if the ban is ended. Chicago is well within its right to make the process of obtaining a gun so cumbersome that practically no one will legally purchase a gun anyway.

7. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

You're the first person I have heard that said the 2nd amendment is clear.

I still think it isn't.

In any case, I am not for a gun ban, but for gun control.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Gun bans don't work, but neither does gun ownership. St. Louis is a fine example. Concealed carry is legal in MO, yet St. Louis has one of the highest crime rates in the city. Letting people walk around packing heat hasn't done a damn thing to reduce crime.

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Then you guys have bigger problems than guns. Let me make this clear- I am not against regulating gun ownership, I am simply against bans. And I never said anything about conceal/carry.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

A great example of a non-solution to a perceived problem. Well done elderly Otis McDonald.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, there are bigger problems. The point I was trying to make about conceal/carry is that while gun bans may not do much to prevent violence, neither does putting more guns out there in the hands of people and letting them carry. We definitely need more gun control. I don't think handguns should be banned outright either (assault rifles are a different story) but tighter controls need to be in place.

12. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Quick fact: the US is the only country in the world where guns are given higher importance than free speech.

Think about it! How many debates about free speech have you observed lately? Now how many debates about the legality of weapons?

Oh, and the founders of your lovely country weren't into guns, they were into staying free from the british. It's the hicks nowadays who are into guns, maybe cause there haven't been any invasion attempts for a few hundred years.

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't have a problem with what you're saying at all.

14. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Personally, I think Daley's answer to every crime is "We must have tighter gun control." Yet, look at all innocent people, even students, getting shot in the bad areas of Chicago. He doesn't seem to be doing a good job keeping the guns out of the hands of criminals, so its actually having a reverse effect. After what happened the other day, maybe he should consider banning railroad ties.

Criminals are going to get weapons if they want them. Now, I am for conceal/carry, and I believe it will allow people to better defend themselves in many situations.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Ah, okay. Guess I was confused for a minute :)

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I just think bans are ridiculous in this case. If we want people to jump through lots of hoops to get a handgun, fine. I'm all for it.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't think you're going to stop gangs and other forms of organized crime from getting guns with tighter gun control. What you can stop though are things such as school and workplace shootings. Take Virginia Tech for example. The shooter legally bought his guns. He had mental issues and had spent time in a mental facility and a judge ruled that he was a danger to himself due to his mental condition. But the law had no restrictions on the ability of someone with his condition to buy firearms. If he was not legally allowed to purchase guns, the shooting probably would've never happened because I highly doubt someone like him has the connections to get guns on the black market.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Your arguments in other threads have actually swayed me Lee. I'm for gun regulation, as much as I hate guns, but not full out bans anymore.

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That's good to hear. :)

20. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I agree with you Lee however I would not mind seeing guns exterminated from our society, although I understand that is quite idealistic of me.

I do have a question for you: Japan has extremely strict gun laws and also has among the lowest homicide rate in the world. Does that make you reconsider your position at all? (I do realize there are pretty huge cultural differences that make a difference in this situation).

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Not at all. We have serious cultural problems in this country that need to be addressed. But instead of dealing with the roots of our problems, we put bandaids on them with things like bans. Bans on things like guns and drugs do nothing to solve our problems, but it can make them worse.

22. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

It can indeed make it worse. I blame our violence in this country on the insular way our nation developed. It encouraged hatred towards other (and the way some organized religions behave(d) did nothing to help the situation).

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

How many times are assault rifles used in crime vs. handguns? I imagine not much.

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Should mentally unstable people be allowed to vote?

25. Desertrat macrumors newbie

From federal testimony before Congress during the runup to the Assault Weapons Ban in 1993, with my assumption that the demographics of violent crime involving firearms in New York state resembled that of the rest of the country:

New York is what, roughly 10% of the US population? The deaths,nationwide, via use of firearms in 1993 was roughly 13,000. So, roughly 1,300 in NY state, okay?

That year, per Justice Department numbers, three people were killed via "assault weapons", separate from handguns, shotguns or non-AW rifles. Some 2,400 were killed via fists, feet, clubs and knives.

Three.

Other contemporaneous testimony indicated that AWs were involved in roughly three percent of all shootings.

IOW, can we forget the foolishness about these so-called assault weapons? The term is strictly a media made-up, anyway. Only the military has assault rifles, which are capable of selective rates of fire. Civilians have semi-auto para-millitary lookalikes, a design which has been in fairly common use since around 1907. "Assault Weapon'" is almost as foolish as the non-existent "cop-killer bullet".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.