Supreme Court Upholds Photo ID Law For Indiana Voters

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Apr 28, 2008.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think this is a good thing. I don't see anything wrong with requiring an ID to vote. You need an ID to cash a check, buy alcohol, get on a plane so why should voting be any different?

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D90AUEV02&show_article=1

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Just as long as an ID is provided free of charge

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Voting is a right, not a privilege. If the government is going to provide a photo ID free of charge at the time of registration, then I'm all for it. Otherwise, no.

4. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I tend to agree with this take. That it only introduces more problems to fix a non-existent problem.

5. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I dont see how anyone can be against this, this should have been done long ago. Photo IDs are not hard to get, and for elderly people there are social services that can help them get out to get one.

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

But it does nothing to solve the kinds of voter fraud that actually occur (if they occur). Showing up at the polls and voting under another person's registered ID is the least productive and most dangerous type of voter fraud. You have to be sure that the other voter isn't going to show up and you net a whopping one vote. Absentee ballots are much more effective. It's a law that adds complication while addressing a non-existent problem. It's adding unneeded bureaucracy to fix something that's not broken. Are you saying additional unneeded bureaucracy is a good thing?

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am more surpised it took this long for it to happen.

I do not see an issue with it. You can not really get a long in this world with out a photo ID. For a vast majority of us we have driver liecensen so it is a non issue. For most other people they do have a state issued id card.

Like the original poster said we already need and idea to do a lot of stuff so it should be a non issue. Plus it is not like they cost much. What 20-30 dollars every 6 years.

8. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

If this is what it takes to get illegals to not vote - then GREAT!

9. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Being inherently lazy, I am certainly not one to advocate adding more bureaucracy or complexity to anything, but in some instances it is needed. The fact is that people are voting who should not vote (illegals) and this will at least (hopefully) put a stop to some of that. Fraud via absentee ballots probably needs to be addressed via another method.

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

How does an ID stop illegals from voting? Don't you have to register to vote? Don't you have to provide a registered name at the polls? If they are registered at the polls they can vote. If they are not registered they cannot vote, shouldn't the registration process somehow catch illegals?

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

see for me I see this as simplifying the voting processes. They only have to deal with one thing when people come to the poles. They only have to use the ID and not worry about voter registration cards. Plus it would also increase the number of registered votes. Texas has one of the best voter registration rates because they make it so easy. When you get your ID or Driver licenses you can register to vote at the same time. No extra paper work to fill out.

I just do not see this as being an issue and honestly it makes the system simpler

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

further proof the US election system needs an overhaul ...

we get a paper card sent per mail before the election with which we then go the the polls .. if there is somebody sitting in the local board at the polling station who knows you it's fine without ID ... if not you have to show an ID
    and for this card you get your ballot

works rather error free ... and we don't have to register manually since that is done automatically (here you have to tell the feds if you change your address for all the stuff like this and emergency plans etc.)

and why is the US not able to get a single consistent federal voting law ?

13. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I'mm fine with this as long as there is not another state(s) where the rules are different.

That said, if it can be proven there is a partisan bent to these activities - well, I also have a problem.

14. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

But do you actually need an ID to vote? I know I've gone to the polls with just my voter registration card and haven't had to show a photo ID, at least I don't think I did, or on the occasion that I did not have my voter registration they could look up my name on a list, and I've used my driver's license to show them my name.

I'm fine if you can register to vote at the same time as getting a common ID, but the requirement to have the ID to vote seems extreme. If they were just requiring you to produce your voter registration card (and it was mailed out in a timely manner before the election) I wouldn't have a problem.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Why not just eliminated the card. It makes it easier less mess to deal with. Also it is a hell of a lot easier to forge the card than it is to forge and ID.

I really find the ID just makes the entire system a lot easier.

Also I do not see how it really is an issue. It making it a more uniform system where one only would need to produce the ID. They booths normally have a list of voters in for there area at them. Works great from there.

16. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

As long as the ID can be obtained free of charge, and without taking any tests I have no problems with it. It's no different that a voter registration card other than it's more expensive to produce (but should last longer) and can be renewed easily via the mail and you'd only have to swipe (everything has a magnetic strip these days) to check if that card is currently registered.

But if you are going to charge money for the ID that is required to go vote, how is that not a poll tax?

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You need a form of ID to vote in CT, they look at it and cross your name off the voter rolls. As for costing money, $20 dollars every 6 years is not that big a deal. You need ID to go to the bank, and I'm sure most people that vote need to go to the bank at some point. Im sure more people go to the bank than vote anyways so this isn't an issue.

18. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

What if you don't drive (too old, family can't afford a car, etc). Are we going to force these people to pay for a government ID only for voting?

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

My grandmother doesn't drive, but to go to the bank she had to get an ID. State issued ID, looks just like a license but it says ID.

Most places want some form of ID anyways so it isn't a big deal.

20. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I don't know the last time I had to show an ID at the bank... I do everything via ATMs and online. The bank gave me a card for that. If I didn't have to drive to work I wouldn't need my driver's license at all.

If I'm forced to pay for a photo ID just to vote explain how that is not a poll tax? If there is an ID requirement for voting there should be a simple method to obtain a qualifying ID free of charge.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Somehow I doubt my grandmother will want or even know how to use a ATM. ID's are used for more than voting or going to the bank. Want to get into a club they will want ID. Writing a check, ID. I don't see the big deal of needing some form of ID on you at all times.

22. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

But there is no obligation to have a state issued photo ID if you don't do anything that requires one and if the only reason you require one is to vote there should be a method of obtaining a qualifying ID free of charge with little to no hassle.

What if you could buy one square foot of land in a field somewhere for $20. Could we go back to only having landowners vote? I mean, it's only $20.

23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Photo IDs are required for a lot of things, but ...

There are a lot more places, that are requiring "current/up-to-date photo IDs."

I had to replace my driver's license with the more current mag stripe/printed one instead of the old laminated photo one.

It was still valid, but I got a warning in the mail that the state wouldn't back the old one any more for a lot of their new services.

OK, got the new one ... then I moved.

There is a package at the post office, had trouble picking it up because the photo ID wasn't current.

WTF it was 6 months old, the only thing not current was the address.

Not only that, but since I live in one of the states not using the new fed standard for IDs -- my newer ID might not be valid for air travel soon.

So the definition of a current photo ID is in flux.

Edit:

Don't even lose the wallet on vacation, you might find some stuff hard to get if you don't keep the driver's license address up-to-date. My brother had to get the old birth certificate/ss card etc. and apply for a new a state ID where he lost his license because he couldn't order a replacement ID sent to his current residence to be picked up. And he was stuck where he was since most travel required ID.

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Illegals can't vote. :rolleyes:

Part of the problem, is the lack of understanding how this works. I can give examples too, like a friend in a wheelchair who's only ID is from school. Will that count? Last time she just used her voter registration card. I have an ID with an old address and haven't received a new one yet, will that count? What about when it was from another state? This doesn't make things easier, doesn't fix the problems, and as said over and over, IDs aren't free. Believe it or not, there are people without state IDs who have difficulty in getting them. Not to mention the issues that could come up if they don't accept the IDs. What then?

I'm amazed that we argue over verifying the actual problems of things like the Diebold machines, but something like this is perfectly fine for some reason.

Unless you don't have one, or they don't accept the current one you do have.

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I will just point back to the many power on the fact asking the question on how the hell you get alone in today's world with out an valid ID from the government. Like it been pointed out before one needs an ID to do anything else right now so it is not like one shouldn't already have one.

For most people driver licenses double as the ID but states do issue ID cards. They look the same as DL expect for the fact they say ID on them. Plus I believe they are a lot cheaper.

People against this idea using the argument that it keeps people away seem to think that you do not need an ID to get along in life.

I think I have to show my ID at least 2-3 times a week. mostly that is to use my credit card.