sure seems like a virus of some sort to me...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sclawis300, Nov 10, 2011.

1. sclawis300 macrumors 65816

So I noticed on Monday that all the emails in my 'sent' box in my IMAP account in the mail app were gone. Then I tried to search for something that I sent. Nothing. Then I searched for all emails sent by me...nothing after 2:02pm on Monday. I clicked on an email to show the reply that I sent yesterday and got "Unable to find message...you may have 'deleted' the message."

After hours of frustration I got an email from ClubCorp that said their email had been compromised. I got the bogus email at 2:08 on Monday. I opened the email, but did not click on the link in the email.

After I deleted the IMAP account and reinstalled it (and changed the password) all the emails in the sent box came back and it started saving sent emails again (I still have no record of emails sent between 2:08pm monday and the time I deleted the account).

Anyone seen this before? Is there anything else I should be concerned about other than changing my email server password?

2. steveca macrumors 6502

doesnt sound like a virus to me to be honest. probably some misconfig problem

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

First, there are no viruses out in the wild for OSX. Secondly why does everyone suddenly suspect a virus when their computers start acting in a way they don't expect[/rant]

Ok, not that I've gotten that off my chest :D

Have you looked for your email folders on a webclient. Not sure what email system you have, hotmail, gmail, icloud, your own domain but reviewing what you see on the webclient may be helpful

Also if you its missing you can contact your email host to see if there's anything going on or they can help. If you didn't make any changes to your mac, the odds are good that the problem exists on the server not your computer.

4. sclawis300 thread starter macrumors 65816

I received the malicious email at 2:08 and that is the precise time the problem happened, that is why I suspected a virus/trojan/whatever.

here is the response I received from the people who had their email hijacked.

"The virus has been identified as a Windows only variant Trojan spyware
    virus (Zbot) that may be identified by varying names depending on your
    anit-virus software."

----------

I use godaddy for email. Is it possible that the trojan affected something in the underlying server side of things and not actually on my mac?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Windows malware cannot have any effect on your Mac. Your problem is not caused by anything on your computer. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

6. sclawis300 thread starter macrumors 65816

still running good old regular leopard.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So am I. It doesn't make any difference. Windows malware cannot infect Mac OS X.