Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Is it possible to access in internet using bluetooth between my powerbook and powermac? I am planning to get Airport Extreme in the future, but I'd like to try this in the interim. I know I'd be restricted within 20 feet or so of the Powermac, but I still want to test it out, if at all possible.

I also have a T68i phone which i know can aid in me getting online, but I haven't figured out to do that yet. Has anyone with this phone got online?

Thanks in advance.

BubbaTAC

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2002
I'm also interested in this, I have a 12" powerbook and I am looking for a good BT phone to surf the net from the laptop. Do I need a phone with a built in modem, or can I use apples internal modem and just use the BT cellphone to get a dial tone? I know there are older nokias with BT but not built in modem.

Do I need a plan with data service? I know I do for high speed, but I am ok with 9600 since I am just downloading text emails, regular modems just work with audio signals, could I do this with regular minutes on a cell phone? What services to people recommend? How about which phones?

Thanks for your help, I'm looking forward to surfing the forums while stuck on the train

kaizer

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2003
Malaysia
Using Bt for normal surfing is possible. My friend has done it with his PC. He says it's a bit slower because he uses a Pocket PC to surf, and the browser he's using is constantly resizing everything at the background. I think that's the reason for the slowdown, not the BT bottleneck.

Range wise, he told me there's three types (3 classes) of BT. It varies in coverage distance. I'm not sure which class of BT adapter he's using but he told me he could get the signal anywhere within his house (terrace house), so I guess it's more that 30ft.

Hope this helps.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
use a T68i...it's a really cool bluetooth phone...but so far it took me about two hours to get my T68i working with my AluBook and i forgot how to do it so by the time i come across a good set of directions i'll tell ya about it.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I got my Audiovox CDM-9500 working as a modem for OS X. If you have Verizon service an ISP is included in your service plan and it only uses your minutes if you connect. It is only 14.4Kbps, but you can get 144Kbps service for $100/month for unlimited access. Unfortunately, my phone does not have Bluetooth, so I have to use a USB cable, but it still works very well for me. If anyone needs directions for setting this up PMor email me.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by übergeek
use a T68i...it's a really cool bluetooth phone...but so far it took me about two hours to get my T68i working with my AluBook and i forgot how to do it so by the time i come across a good set of directions i'll tell ya about it.

I would really appreciate it if you could find those directions, or if you could remember how to configure it. This is driving me nuts.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
There is a good article in the new issue of MacAddict that discusses bluetooth in general and specifically addresses how to teach your Mac to use the BT to do this. I advise you to check it out. Complicated, but doable. Speed will be about the same as a dail-up connection.

yogi477

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2002
England
It took me about 5mins to get my T68i working with my 12"PB on bluettoth just pair them up then connect via bluetooth modem adaptor in the Internet Connect application that comes with the system. You will need to enter your ISP details for a dial up account into the Bluetooth Modem Adaptor bit of the Network settings first. All in all it shoudl take 5-10mins but I would only recommend using it for mail checking not web surfing the connection speed isnt up to mcuh. Unless you have GPRS that is but I am pretty sure configuration of that is a different ball game.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by yogi477
It took me about 5mins to get my T68i working with my 12"PB on bluettoth just pair them up then connect via bluetooth modem adaptor in the Internet Connect application that comes with the system...
it normally does take about 5 minutes you are right but i wanted to play around with my T68i and my laptop and see what they can do...so it took me longer :p
Anyway connecting the phone to the laptop is easy, it's all the other stuff i tried to do with it that drove me nuts...

yogi477

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2002
England
Get Sony Ericsson Clicker though, its really fantastic once setup if you want to use your Mac as a digital jukebox especially.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.