"Surge" invented to disguise increasing violence?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by miloblithe, Jun 25, 2007.

1. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Does anyone else think that the "surge" was invented purely to come up with some political tactic to explain the rising violence in Iraq and the dramatically increasing US fatality rate? Arguably, the current increased fatality rate began last October, with 106 US deaths (although October/November is always a violent time). We've had one month since then with less than 80 US deaths (November), now making seven months in a row with 80+ deaths (the previous record was two). Deaths have increased from about 2.3 per day to 3.5 per day and have been distinctly unrelenting.

http://icasualties.org/oif/

To me, it seems like someone realized that things were about to get even more out of hand, so they came up with this whole idea to buy yet more time for their failed strategy.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'm not sure. A lot of the surge is increased neighborhood patrols, isn't it? By going out into the community more, the military is much more exposed. Unfortunately, this is something that should have been done from the very beginning instead of locking themselves inside the "Green Room".

Would casualties have been fewer? Who knows.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

for better or worse, i think bush actually believed it would work. and he kept going through generals until he found one who agreed.

bush really is in way over his head. and he thought the oil business was hard!

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I agree with your idea that Bush actually thought it would work......he's had one bad idea after another......who needs a conspiracy theory to explain things when there's such blatant blundering about going on

5. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

It is really not a conspiracy theory that miloblithe is suggesting. This was a common practice in Vietnam. In guerilla warfare, you have cycles of increased activity. 'Charlie' would lie somewhat dormant, then attack furiously. We would launch a counter initiative, and it would be given a name like "Operation Kick His Ass". It made us appear to be the assertive side and garner public support. In fact, we were responding to the actions of the side opposite.

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

yeah, but back in those days a lot of people believed what the government told them and now they don't......anyway, I'm not sure that Bush has the imagination to come up with such a scheme

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No, I gotta agree with others here and say it was just a last ditch effort to try to turn the tide. They probably knew it wasn't going to work, and I'm sure the escalating violence played a part in the decision (they did see the violence coming, it's been steadily increasing and they know it), but they had to try since they have nothing else. I'm more worried about what else they might do out of desperation.

8. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

now they don't?? the gang is still in the House, aren't they?