Surprise! CBO study discovers a long-term problem with Medicare funding

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Sep 13, 2011.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Unfortunately, the terms of the debate so far don't allow for alternatives to the current insurance-based/insurance-like system we have today.

(A partial, fractured quote.)

Here is the link:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...in-spending-and-tax-levels-cbo-head-says.html

I can't help but wonder if there isn't an alternative. Something besides ever-increasing Medicare costs, and, "Let them die!"

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Demographics and simple arithmetic make the present structure unaffordable before too much longer--particularly in this economy which is nowhere near bottomed out.

The population's average age is increasing and we now have the Baby Boomers adding in at a higher rate on the demand for Medicare services.

Taxable wealth is declining as the percentage of private-sector GDP declines, so less and less tax money will be available for all government programs at all levels of government.

It's not a matter of Democrat or Republican or woulda/coulda/shoulda. Unaffordable is a matter of arithmetic, not political will to "solve" the problem. When you're broke, you cut back on spending.

3. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

So, Medicare is "unaffordable," while tax rates are at historic lows, so we need to cut Medicare? I don't accept that we can't afford to have a healthy population. That's BS. Worst case/best case scenerio: we could draft every doctor, nurse and healthcare professional and take every hospital and medical asset by emminent domain, and put it under the control of the Military. Medical care is a right and should be / could be provided in an efficient manner by a well run organization that does not operate to maximize profits. Billions upon billions in profits sucked out of the system by insurance companies, hospital administrators, overpaid doctors, investors, etc... could be used to provide quality health care.

Why not raise taxes? Oh wait, I know, because the incredibly overpaid "job creators" who live in the Hamptons and fly into work on their helicoptors would suffer. Poor babies. They aren't making jobs now, so what's the downside to raising taxes?

The other alternative is that we "choose" between a government that operates on our behalf vs. healthcare for our parents. The GOP is setting us up for the choice between the things they have hated and fought against for decades and our parents health. That my friends, is total BS.

We can do better, we just need the right to actually represent the people and not their billionaire benefactors.

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"...Medical care is a right..."

Nope. Sorry. Not so. You have the right to earn the money to pay for it, but I have no obligation to pay for your medical care. It's that erroneous belief on the part of the "Give me!" crowd which has led me to set myself up such that I pay no federal income tax.

I see you believe in slavery and theft, what with your drafting of medical people and the taking of property for government use--unless somehow, magically, the government has the money to actually pay for such things as the Mayo Clinic and M.D. Anderson and a host of others. Oh, well, Bernanke's printing press will pay for it all, I guess.

If tax rates are indeed at historic lows, and given that we're sliding deeper into the worst recession in our history, along with the greatest indebtness in the history of the world, whence cometh the tax money to ensure Medicare's addition to the Grand Ponzi Scheme? Wealth is already declining, so the absolute worst thing which could be done is to raise taxes--unless you want more joblessness and less creation of wealth.

Show me by number which items are not factual:

http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com/...he-u-s-economy-is-about-to-go-into-the-toilet

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Ahhh you are so blinded by the right-wing wooly BS. Raising taxes is the best thing we could do for our economy. On a side note, I don't believe in slavery, I believe in my country. The draft, as I suggested, would eliminate the main cause of our economic problems, but, that IS NOT NECESSARY.

All that is necessary is that the right-wing wackos stop drinking the kool-aid and recognize that healthcare is a right because we all need it, we all use it, and even if you don't take personal responsibility, you are still giong to get it, but it's going to be paid for by society. Do you know a single doctor, nurse, ambulance, anyone involved in health care who would watch someone die without helping just because they don't have insurance? They don't exist. In other words, you have a right to healthcare! So, instead of giving insurance companies and hospitals a blank check to steal from everyone, why not just do what most of the rest of the world is doing and provide quality health care in an affordable and efficient manner?

Oh I know, because a few billionaires don't like it.

It really is that simple.

"If indeed?" Really? Are you suggesting that tax rates aren't at historic lows? I can't debate someone who won't at least accept the facts. When you are, I'll be happy to refute/accept any claims you want to make.

(edit) FYI, over half, if not most, of the problems raised in your buy gold list could be addressed/resolved with four things: universal healthcare, higher taxes; governement spending on infrastructure and US regulation of import/exports and job oursourcing. (Hell, if we just reinstated the reasonable tariffs we had when Reagan was in office, we'd be better off. Can you imagine if we actually made a freaking effort?)