Surprise! Fearful Kids More Likely to Hold Conservative Political Views as Adults.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by likemyorbs, Oct 25, 2012.

1. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Sounds about right, explains a lot huh?

Link

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

So, people who are raised in an oppressive and controlling manner have a desire to control and oppress other's lives when they become adults? This is news? I thought it was common sense.

In a way, it sounds kind of like how kids are controlled and raised in radical Islam. ;):D

4. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Maybe that's a sound argument contra football ban at high-schools then. :D

5. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I've held the belief for a long time that people who are fearful of things end up in the Republican party. Fear of other races, fear of gay people, fear of anything and anyone they deem different. They also seem more susceptible to believe propaganda and rumors as well.

That doesn't mean that all people in the party think that way. But there definitely are a lot that do.

6. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

Funny thing about being conservative is, that one actually has to be quite progressive to live up to that premise. If one really wants to preserve certain values, be it materialistic or insubstantial ones, one has to find NEW answers to innevitable NEW questions. Just to use the good ol' formula will never be sufficient.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This comes, I'm sure, as a surprise to no one.

Still nice to see it confirmed by a study, though. It makes perfect sense, and jibes with other studies comparing character traits of liberals and conservatives.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Interesting.

Historically, I think Conservatives are generally fearful of change, perhaps driven by what they currently possess, while Liberals are more likely to give it a chance.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If your parents raise you with conservative values you are more likely to hold conservative values... and now for budget cuts on research like this.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ah, since you don't like the results...

How typical. :mad:

11. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Or maybe we should cut back on all that climate change research you just ignore anyway.

12. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

God forbid kids should obey their parents. Who would want that? Kid's should just do whatever they want without any discipline or consequences for their actions.

[Insert sarcastic shaking of head.]

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

God forbid you actually read and comprehend the article. Did/do you always obey your parents? What if your parents are flat-out wrong?

14. likemyorbs thread starter macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

What does your little rant have to do with the discussion?

15. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

Respected them, or respectfully disagreed. Obeying doesn't always mean doing as they say.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Might one have a peek at your dictionary?

Here's Merriam-Webster's. I particularly favour "goose-step".

17. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    What year was the study? Article doesn't say. I'm pretty sure this study is at least a year old and has been covered in the news but is being rehashed a bit.

Nothing wrong with that, but feels a bit deja vu :p

Intolerance, prejudice, bigotry etc always fear based in some way. Save your research dollars, I'll tell you for free :D

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...yes it certainly does. See the definition above. No wonder you didn't understand the article.

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Before we continue being smug, all of the variables the authors used to predict political views accounted for only about 10% of variation (leaving 90% of the variation unexplained). Thus, the effect is weak even though it is detectable.

20. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

to comply with or follow the commands, restrictions, wishes, or instructions of: to obey one's parents.
    to comply with or follow (a command, restriction, wish, instruction, etc.).
    (of things) to respond conformably in action to: The car obeyed the slightest touch of the steering wheel.
    to submit or conform in action to (some guiding principle, impulse, one's conscience, etc.).

The key is in number 4. Good parents set a guiding principal, or rather, principals for their children to follow. Though the parent may make a mistake, or be wrong, it is respectful for the child to obey, even when the parent may be wrong. A good parent would never purposely demand their child do something that is morally or genuinely wrong, and thus the child should obey.

Now whether or not a parent is good or bad is based on a totally different conversation.

For the record just because someone is a conservative doesn't mean they are wrong, or evil, or mean, just because the have different values or opinions than you.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If their values involve denying the rights of others they don't like, it most certainly does make them wrong, evil, and mean.

And "obey" means exactly what it means, there is no option not to obey in the definition of "obey". And I don't know about you, but if my parents were wrong, I disobeyed them. The mere fact that I exist disobeys them.

22. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I am really not sure how much I buy into one study that reaches this conclusion. If there were multiple studies that pointed to this than I would be much more easily swayed..

Looking at my own family as an example, my parents probably leaned more towards the obey me/controlling side, yet my siblings and I are all radically different.

Oldest brother is extremely right wing ( I know, you thought it couldn't get any worse than me), and has views that even I think are extreme.

Middle brother is an Obama supporter and leans pretty far to the left on almost everything. He is also the one that recieved the brunt of the "obey me" doctrine.

I am the youngest, and am pretty middle of the road on most things and in general have a live and let live attitude...

I am sure there are many other families like mine out there that do not fit with the results of this study.

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Kind of sounds like the family thing where the uber-religious parents inadvertently push their kid into the exact opposite direction and he ends up being Peter North. :D

24. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Not sure who Peter North is, and I am not sure I want to click on those links that a google search brought up, lol..

Point is, I do believe that the parental units do a play a role in how we define ourselves later in life, but I don't think it is as cut and dry as this "study" would have all of you believe.

I know my family certainly does not fit that study, and despite what many of you may think of me based on my postings here, I certainly don't fit in that study despite having "obey me" parents...

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

You mean like carbon-based units? ;)

[​IMG]