Surprise, surprise the tariffs against Mexico aren’t happening

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Anyone could have predicted this. Everyone outside of Trump knew these tariffs would be a disaster so the negotiators ensure they never happen and ask Mexico for a little face saving. Remember, a few months ago Trump was going to put troops on the border because it was a crisis. Then he tweeted that Mexico was finally getting tough on their southern border. Then not long after we were back to a crisis on our border again. Of course I’m already seeing commentators on the Right saying this is “good Trump” and a win for him. Good grief.

[​IMG]

2. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Maxine Waters was prescient.

3. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Seems you jumped on the story as soon as possible for some damage control as its a win for Trump and the American people while Congress still won't do anything about it.

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

5. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

A Trump victory indeed. And Maxine? Lol she probably copied and paste that tweet from another user. Talk about a loser, she can’t even help her own district.

6. appleisking macrumors 6502a

I thought tariffs were a good thing? What happened?

7. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

In this case it was a very good thing as it will solves most of our illegal immigration problems, at least until Congress wakes up with some new legislation. It did its intended purpose.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

They worked. That simple

9. raqball macrumors 68000

They flip out when tariffs are announced and then they flip out when they are canceled.... Dizzy yet?

10. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

--- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2019 ---
    How did they work they were never implemented?

11. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

12. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

I’m not flipping out that they were cancelled. I never wanted them in the first place. But Trump said tariffs are a good thing and these tariffs would bring companies and jobs back to the US. Was he lying? Or does it not matter anymore? Face it, no one wanted these tariffs. The Administration knew it and had to make sure they never went into effect. So they got Mexico to make a bunch of promises they’ll probably never keep just so Trump can announce a deal and look like a genius to his 40% support.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1014441

14. Solver macrumors 6502a

Tariffs like handcuffs are something you hope you don’t have to use but if you do, they are used only as long as you need them.

15. appleisking macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry worked? You have data showing a drop in illegal crossings? As of now nothing is known. All we have is empty promises that anyone can make.
    Couldn't care less either way. But yeah I'm getting dizzy with the Trump logic of tariffs being good and yet not implementing them. Thats quite a circle.
    Dream on.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Try post 15

17. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

So you're angry that tariffs were proposed and then angry now that they were not enacted?

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Okay, now what? Mexico's military photo op is going to change exactly what? :confused:

19. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

At the very least, they've promised to try. Now you have to let it mature and see where it shakes out.

20. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

I think you're just mad because it worked. Illegal immigration is always a constant battle. Congress is not getting it done, so Trump thought outside the box and had a winning idea. Mexico could backtrack, but so could the tariffs. But I think Mexico know Trump is serious about this, so they are not going to test this. If they do its at their own peril.

21. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

22. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

What worked? All we have is an incredibly vague document with no meaningful obligations.

[​IMG]