Surprising email from my bank asking ALL iPad users to not upgrade to iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by mikethebigo, Sep 11, 2014.

1. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Please see attached. I just received this email from my bank, actually encouraging every iPad user to not update to the latest OS because they haven't been able to update their app yet. Pretty surprising - Apple should try to keep large companies from pulling this kind of stunt - it definitely encourages people to not update and receive the latest security updates.

Attached Files:

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I see nothing surprising about the email you received. The bank is being proactive in protecting itself and its users the best it can on the subject.

3. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

I really didn't read it as them saying not to upgrade, but to hold on if you depend upon the app.

4. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Unprofessional. Why don't they update their damn app instead of having users hold out on iOS 8?

5. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

6. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

From my view, the bigger company, the worser application and its support. There are 3 banks in my country which doesn't even updated their apps from iOS 6.... ^^

7. mikethebigo thread starter macrumors 68000

The issue to me is that new OS's have improved security features among other things. A bank of all companies should not try to hold back upgrades.

Also, it's pretty poor form of them to be too slow in updating their own apps, and then asking users to completely alter their iPad experience just because of their app.

8. taedouni macrumors 65816

9. TC03 macrumors 65816

iOS 8 was announced three months ago. They've had plenty of time to work everything out. This is just bad customer service.

10. kerbero9 macrumors member

I agree, this is bad customer service. The email makes it sounds like Apple just announced IOS8, when reality it was announced months ago and they had all summer to test and update their app to have it ready by the 17th.

So now they are asking you to miss out on all of the new features and enhancements of the OS because they decided to be lazy.

11. Menel Suspended

Menel

Chase is probably the largest bank in the USA. It's app works great on iOS8, and they are very proactive with Apple Pay, part of the main advertising push.

Bigger company, good application and support.

FHB in the OP, first hawaiian, is a dinky little local bank. That's why they have no support.

12. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

13. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

It's in the letter...

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

How did we ever live without such apps just a few years ago? The horror.

15. dsjr2006 macrumors regular

One of the disadvantages of small banks/credit unions is that they don't always support the latest and greatest features...