Surprising Place that I pre-ordered iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dwburnell, Sep 16, 2012.

1. dwburnell macrumors regular

Wal-mart! Just went today. I was only the 4th person on the list. They require $25 down but the phone is only $189 for the 16GB. They said that they will have it Friday morning when the moble departments opens at 8 am.

2. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I remember last year or the year before walmarts only recieved 1 phone.

3. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

When the iPhone 4 came out, the one I went to had three iPhone's. It's cheaper, but waaay more risky.

4. acarney macrumors 6502

I also thought Walmart couldn't guarantee Friday delivery even though they're mentioning that…

5. richpuer macrumors 6502

Omg thanks for the post. Wife and I heading there now

6. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

I put in a preorder through Sam's Club on their website, and i got a confirmation email that they will have one reserved for me on the 21st. I asked the rep in that particular Sam's, and she said that if I got the confirmation, then they will have the iPhone 5 set aside for me. We shall see.

7. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

I'd like to hear others experiences with this. What you are told, etc. it doesn't say anywhere online that they are guaranteed on the 21st and as other said generally the stores don't even know what they are going to end up getting, so I'm skeptical.

8. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

Why is it risky?

9. richpuer macrumors 6502

U get a reservation card

10. richpuer macrumors 6502

I'm at WMT right now, they're tellin me they don't even know how many they're going to get, if any at all. Associate just said she would call me if it came in. Might be stuck waitin for a phone call that never comes while other are just strolling into appl stores and picking them up

----------

So the lady comes back with a paper from corporate and shows it to me. Says WMT is getting phones via FedEx on the 19th. So I can call them after that to check. F it I'll risk the $50 bucks

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

That's very strange. I always order from AT&T every year.

Last year a friend was away on business & couldn't get his pre-order in. Upon returning home on launch day, the neighbor had just returned from WalMart with his 4S in hand. So we jumped in the car & drove there. Not only did he get one, but the store was selling them quite briskly.

I'm not a WalMart shopper per se, but that was impressive. The guy behind the counter said Apple is providing them with good quantities.

The wait in line in that department for iPhones only was less than fifteen minutes. Very easy.

12. al0513 macrumors 6502

He will tell you that to make the sell. After the 21st and you have no phone, I doubt you will cancel the reservation with them. That's what he is betting on.

13. erzeszut macrumors regular

A shame that both WM and SAMs only have 16gb models, or I might try this. AT&T has well and thoroughly hosed my preorder, so I'm looking at other options.

14. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

If you're depending on getting a phone for sure, it's risky. Most the Walmart's have a severely-limited amount of phones on launch day.

15. mytakeontech macrumors 6502a

Tax

At least in Cali Walmart charges tax on discounted price so you save at least about $30 on 16 GB.

16. AznTakumi macrumors regular

Now you guys are getting me worry with all this only 1 iphone per walmart talk.. I'm third in line and I hope they get more than 1 phone.

17. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure your Walmart is getting 2, hey its better than 1 right?

18. richpuer macrumors 6502

Shoot I'm first in line and I ordered 2. Hopefully I get all their stock.

19. GravityEyes macrumors regular

GravityEyes

For the iPad 3 I walked into Walmart at midnight the eve of the launch (yes only 16 gb models). I was hoping for only one, but walked away with two. I was the only person there wanting one. They had an allotment of 5 and said there was no limit, I could have all 5 if I wanted them. Easiest launch day transaction I've had to date.

20. CSpackler macrumors regular

CSpackler

Because it's Walmart. The one near my house is like a demilitarized zone.

21. dwburnell thread starter macrumors regular

I just called them to check. They said if you pre-ordered one this year you are guaranteed to have one on Friday. Hopefully they are telling the truth.

22. JohnGregorio macrumors member

I work at Walmart in the Electronics/Connection Center. I have the true facts about what's happening.

The store is supposed to be getting A FedEx delivery on 9/19 with iPhone 5's.

Pre-ordering costs $25 which will be applies towards iPhone purchase.

You are not guaranteed an iPhone on 9/21. The store will call you at 8am if we have stock. So I suggest getting there early and don't wait for the call.

Anymore questions, Ask.

23. dwburnell thread starter macrumors regular

No chance of them calling early on the 19th? haha

24. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Wouldn't bank on it, like others said....they got around 1 per store last year.

an unexpected place would be Hhgregg...they sent my an email a few days ago saying they are doing i5 preorders.

25. richpuer macrumors 6502

what he said was true. I saw the corporate memo re the lauch. a wmt employee showed me...except you dont have to be there at 8am. AS LONG AS you have your name on the list, you will get it. it goes in order of who came first.

the rep also told me i can call them on the 20th to double check as well but they will not call anyone sooner than the 21st