Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about purchasing a new iMac but have some concerns about audio. I'd want the iMac to be able to have surround sound for gaming in Windows XP using Boot Camp. Can this be done? Usually on a PC I'd just buy a set of Creative 5.1 speakers for $50-$75 and plug 'em in to an Audigy card or similar, and the drivers take care of my surround needs.

This could be a showstopper for me because surround sound in gaming is a must have!

wchong

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2006
Miami, Fl
if you are able to somehow use the line out from your imac (i think it has one) and connect this adapter:

12087.jpg

then you could technically have a 5.1 surround system.

you could find that product at http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2177,CONTENTID=10036

jsarrasinjr

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2005
western MA
I was under the impression that the optical digital out (which is the same output jack as the headphone) should be just fine for carrying as many channels of audio as you want.

Of course, this means you will need to get something that can accept a digital audio signal for surround sound.

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Thanks for the replies. It looks like the simplest, but not cheapest, way to do it will be with digital surround speakers. They're very expensive compared with analogue but it's better to know about it now rather than later. It looks like it's going to be a tough choice between a PC and Mac this time!

amiga

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2006
London.
I use the optical (mini) out and a Monster audio cable bought from Apple to out to my Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 amp and its amazing for music, movies, games and TV (eyeTV) :D You can even play DTS Audio DVD's through iTunes (buy you can't rip them) for even hire quaiity specially masterd DTS Sound :D yey!!!!

Edit:

I think there's room for a 'high end' sort of mini Hi-Fi with optical out. A nice amp and speakers that look cool but stylish and would sit next to any lovely Mac (or PC) wasnted something like this for my girlfriends iBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.