Survey : No Money Restrictions - then which Macbook Laptop would you get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yuanmoons, Jan 4, 2009.

?

Which ONE?

1. MacBook 13"

12.2%
  2. MacBook Air 13"

8.9%
  3. MacBook Pro 15"

60.0%
  4. MacBook Pro 17"

18.9%
  1. yuanmoons macrumors 6502

This is not about profiting from some virtual scenario. Its about whether portability matters over performance if money wasnt factored in.

In this scenario its exclusively about YOUR MAIN COMPUTER / ONE LAPTOP per person. This is not about a secondary computer purchases.

Its about whether the price really stops people buying what they want or do people buy because the size 13-15-17" is more important? hmm, or something like that ....

I appreciate in 'real life' there are other considerations in terms of performance - but this is a given for each individuals circumstances. You arent going to buy a MacBook Air 1.6Ghz as your ONE machine if you need serious processing power. However, you might buy a Macbook instead of an Air because of price.

So, if you could only have ONE computer & if you had enough for the most expensive MacBook Pro you can get would you get it regardless?
    Or do you just want max portability and so would always buy a MacBook Air or MacBook?

I hope this makes sense. Its not a well thought out scientifically sound poll but hey... it aint all that important..... :)

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The MacBook Pro 17" is portable, hence its a laptop, and not a Mac Pro. The cost makes me wince a little, but once you open that baby its all uphill from there.:cool::apple:

3. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

i'd get the Macbook Pro 15" because it's the alum one, so it's the most updated. and screen size (15" over 17") doesn't matter too much. i'd just hook it up to an external monitor.

if only this was realistic...

4. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

Its no secret that the MBP is the best laptop apple makes, who wouldn't want all that power with no money restrictions.

5. yuanmoons thread starter macrumors 6502

The difference in spec doesnt seem that significant - at the moment - apart from screen size & prestige (?) = price.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

7. shoppy macrumors 6502a

8. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

If I was thinking in terms of value for money I'd agree with you. But as the question is money no object, the unibody MBP would be the choice for the dedicated graphics card alone. If also has a better display and firewire.

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

17" after unibody update, 15" now.

Would take the 17" now but 8600 + warped lid = :(

10. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

:apple:MacBook Air its all and more than I would need for the next 5 years!:apple: 15 inch screen on my only laptop is way to big for me.

11. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

If only it were just the screen size:
    [​IMG]

Apple puts a better panel in the 15" and the MacBook Air than the 13" MacBook.

[​IMG]

From Gizmodo: MB V MBP and MB v Air

12. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

For me it would have to be the 13.3" 2.4GHz MacBook. I would also upgrade to 4GB of RAM, and a 500GB hard drive.

13. XxHOVESKOxX macrumors newbie

14. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

For me it is not price what would keep me from a purchase. Main thing for me is size. I do need a "pro" machine, but I need a 12-13" screen. I will not get into the whole FW thing, but if not for missing firewire I would get a spec'ed out MB.

With that said I do not plan on getting one of these uni body macs, as they don't offer what I want in a computer purchase. So I will have to make my current laptop last. For me there is not a laptop in Apple current line that I would want to purchase whatever the cost is.

15. iisarenotnobody macrumors member

I would get the 17" Macbook Pro and upgrade the specs to max.:cool::apple:

16. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

:eek:i would get the new MB. since money is no issue it would be the top of the line model maxed out.

and since money is no issue i would take a risk and try to crack it open and fit a better screen in there. there should be something available in 13.3 inch that can be fitted in.

I don't know if a firewire port or esata port can be fitted in there but it would be a nice project.

if money wouldn't matter (i could buy a MBair and use the panel from there:eek:)

17. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I Would go with a Fully Spec'd MacBook Pro 15" if it was my main machine (Its what i have, other than fully spec'd) but if i had a Mac Pro at Home/Work, then i would get a Fully Spec'd Air.

18. fedup flyer macrumors regular

I would like a 13" MacBook Air with all the performance and features of a MBP.
    They can do it but I bet the cost is outrageous.

19. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Hmm...I think i'd have to go for the MacBook 13''

Maxed out, but the Air would be a close 2nd

20. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

21. yuanmoons thread starter macrumors 6502

This is a VERY valuable spot 'beyond' the point of poll - but valuable point for those considering a unibody macbook 13", as i was a few days ago (in process of returning it and keeping my last gen mpb).

22. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

I voted for Macbook Pro 15" but in reality if this ever occurred I'd get the 17" sell it, then buy the 15" and use the extra money for like a ACD or something :p if that made sense :confused:.

In the end I would have a Macbook Pro 15" either way.

23. Oliver.m macrumors regular

Oliver.m

I have a 17" MacBook Pro so it's the one i had to vote for. As much as i would prefer something slightly more portable (15") i love the extra screen size, it's such a pleasure to use.

24. djkny macrumors 6502

25. macjay macrumors 6502

I'm in a similar boat. I require a 12-13" MATTE screen laptop, and therefore Apple offers no current laptop for me regardless of cost.