Carrier Survey: Who have sign up for T-Mobile Jump/AT&T Next/Verizon Edge/Sprint One Up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EbookReader, Oct 13, 2013.

?

Who have sign up for T-Mobile Jump, AT&T Next, Verizon Edge, Sprint One Up?

1. Not applicable since I don't have service with these 4 carriers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I have

8 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. I have not / won't likely to

36 vote(s)
    81.8%
  1. EbookReader macrumors 65816

Survey: Who have sign up for T-Mobile Jump or AT&T Next or Verizon Edge or Sprint One Up?

A very unscientific way to see how these "offerings" are fairing with smartphone buyers.

2. urkel macrumors 68030

Sprint is probably the program where it makes the most sense:
    1) Sprint phone resale value is garbage so this is more cost effective than reselling every year
    2) Plan discount of $15 drops it from $80 to $65/mo for unlimited everything

I came very close to doing this but didnt due to sales tax. My problem was that even though you are put on a monthly plan, you are taxed on the entire unit up front. So the $750 iPhone I wanted would cost $75 in tax, but every annual trade-up you would be forced to pay that $75 tax again which just seems crooked considering it's presented to you more as a lease than a purchase.

I know that some states do charge full tax on leases but I wouldve preferred they split the tax into the monthly payments because since we are expected to upgrade every year then that would mean you're only paying tax on the 12mo of "ownership" you actually have possession of the device.

I'm not against the program completely but I ended up feeling a contract is still a better value since purchases at Apple Store only tax you on the subsidized price.

3. EbookReader thread starter macrumors 65816

I see a lot of commercial on TVs for this.

So the 4 carriers are spending a lot of money advertising.

But will it pay off?

4. EbookReader thread starter macrumors 65816

Not applicable since I don't have service with these 4 carriers 0 0%
    I have 0 0%
    I have not / won't likely to 12 100.00%

5. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

Yes I did. Fine, call me stupid. But I want the upgrade options without hassles.

6. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

This ^^

Dealing with craigslist lowballers or eBay fees is never fun.

7. alent1234 macrumors 603

wouldn't sign up if i bought an iphone, but if i switch to galaxy note next year then i might sign up

iphones have early upgrades, android phones don't. $35 extra per month and not having to pay the $299 initial sales price and the ability to trade it in every year for a new galaxy note at $0 down is a decent deal

8. Avarize macrumors member

Girlfriend joined T-Mobile's program as she is notorious for iOS/Android switch as the new flagships arrive and will allow flexibility.

9. EbookReader thread starter macrumors 65816

There are some 200 million post-paid wireless contracts in the USA. (120 million prepaid).

Assume 60% of post paid contracts are smartphone. That's 120 millions.

Even with 10% uptake, that mean 12 million people sign up for it.

10. CEmajr macrumors 601

For iPhone users it doesn't make much sense because iPhones have such high resale value after 1 year and only come out with new models once per year. If I used Androids then I might consider JUMP since a lot of them degrade in resale value so quickly, being able to dump it for a new model in 6 months wouldn't be too bad.

11. EbookReader thread starter macrumors 65816

Who else have or have not/won't likely to sign up for these upgrade programs?

12. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

No way, I have never had trouble selling my used phone on CL for at least $325+ every year within an hour of posting it.

I have been lucky enough to somehow get an upgrade every year when new iPhones are released even though I have two year contracts.

If for some reason I don't get an upgrade next year, I can sell my phone for around $350 and it will only cost me $300 to upgrade to a new one, only $100 more than a new contract price and I will save all of the fees and junk associated with these programs.

I mean I can see a lot of people being suckered into these plans because of how they are advertised and if you don't calculate it out fully the prices don't really seem that bad to have to pay $30 a month for a phone, but when you want to upgrade after 6 months and you still owe a bunch of money to get the phone half paid off I think people are going to get mad.

I will take the HUGE money savings for the 20min it takes me to sell an old iPhone over these junk plans. Just my .02

13. Dascoyne macrumors 6502

This is the only truth.

Also I almost signed up for Verizon Edge but the salesman didn't mention that I'd be paying the full retail price of the phone instead of the $300ish price. Luckily my wife spotted the math and we told the salesman to cancel and start over without the Edge.