Susanne Atanus, Who Blames Gay Rights For Tornadoes, Wins GOP Nomination For Congress

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Mar 19, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...ess-_n_4993555.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

hope Jan Schakowsky wins.

2. zin Suspended

It amazes me that it's 2014 and I'm still reading things like this.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Given the district's location in Chicago, it sounds like the chances of Atanus winning are exactly zero.

4. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Dumb bitch. Seriously. Stupid imbecile. Gay rights cause tornadoes? I don't think I've ever heard such idiocy in my life. This woman needs a slap round the face.

5. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Nut jobs voting for nut jobs. God Bless America.

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Her GOPponent says she won because of cross-over voting in the open primary. He believes that Democrats voted for her because they were "afraid to face a real challenger".

But come on, if you were a Democrat, could you resist a vote like that?

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Her name has anus in it...perfectly fitting for the type of person she seems to be....

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Fixed it for you:D. These politicians know exactly what they're doing. They are using calculated statements to prey on brainwashed individuals.

10. dec. Suspended

dec.

So if my hubby and I don't have sex this weekend, the snow might finally melt? Decisions, decisions....

11. edk99 macrumors 6502a

She may win and the reason she may win is because issues like gay marriage equality and abortion are low hanging fruit. I know for me personally those issue are at the bottom of my list for picking a candidate.

12. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

OMG, what if she's right? This will forever change meteorology.

13. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Please abstain! :D Commuting downtown in this weather over the last few weeks has really sucked

But in other news: MURICA!!

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Considering tornadoes only come about when it's nice and warm out, I'd say abstaining should be the last thing he should do.

GET TO IT, YALL! I'm tired of this cold damn weather. :mad:

15. dec. Suspended

dec.

Maybe I should start making some money with a local weather business...

Anyway, from a pure theoretical stand point - since this "religion" thing is supposed to be a private matter as it was stated in the "churches shouldn't be forced to wed gays" thread, I'd like to know in how far this private matter "religion" should be allowed to have an influence on a politicians decisions - especially as these affect other people that don't share the same mythological "beliefs" or have none at all or might "worship" the wrong "god" (in example: Allah, Xenu etc.).

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Please don't call her a "dumb bitch."

Thank you.

----------

You better get busy this weekend ... just to make sure.

;)

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Man I only thought I was living in a peak anti-intellectual era in the USA back when Adlai Stevenson was being called an egghead, just for being able to speak in complete paragraphs with topic sentences up front.

So okay, the guys that swung a hammer instead of a fountain pen back then turned out to prefer Ike to Adlai, but the closest they got to mentioning religion was either saying stuff like Communists were godless or hinting that Roman Catholic legislators might bear watching in case they had allegiance to Rome. Stuff like that. Stuff even my grandmother shrugged off as the rantings of people with too much time on their hands now that "technology" had made so many jobs easier.

By technology she meant lawn mowers and refrigerators, I think. But in any case our legislators back then were not anti-science. When push came to shove (Sputnik), they lit some big ol' pile of dollar bills under NASA to get that first step onto the moon. And yet we have some people today claiming to buy the line of BS that we never went to the moon and it was all filmed in the American southwest's deserts or something. "Jesus wept" indeed!! Where did we GET these people from?

I was politically aware back then but I sure don't remember all this sort of church-state conflict, certainly not science-rejection (my physics and biology teachers in an upstate New York public high school were both PhDs), I don't know where these flat-earth types have come from, and I really don't know where the rabid anti-science streak has come from, much less how any of these reactionary pieces of work manage to get elected. But it's the voter who's doing this to himself, and to the rest of us, against his own (and our nation's) interests.

Who knows how one can reach these voters to open their minds a little. I cannot even imagine what it's like having their brain interpreting the world to begin with. But tolerating the antics of the wealthy people manipulating these benighted voters is very dangerous. The people with the money don't buy the BS. They sell the BS in order to buy the votes to stay in power and do whatever they want. Whatever they want is far outside the ken of the people electing them. We're talking arcane tax breaks and subsidies. We're talking environmental regulation easements.

Meanwhile these guys fund ads appealing to the right wing's core social beliefs and put up candidates who can read talking points on camera and understand when to say Aye or Nay. Sure, they stumble now and then and put up some candidate who opens his mouth on the subject of rape or gays or abortion or something equally dicey for a Republican to talk about in a general election campaign. Red meat sells in primaries and spoils in the fall...

But more often now they put up someone who just rants against science, with knowing nods to scripture. And they get on the ticket. And you turn around and sure enough two more of them are in the House. I call them the American badmashi. (Badmashi is an Urdu word for wrongdoers.) We have a whole band of badmashis right here in our own darn Congress , with more on the way, and it feels like we're all just watching it happen. They think they're in Congress to protect the US from godless science freaks. They're in Congress to protect Big Oil from having to leave some money on the table and sink some dough into renewables or go home.

The one ray of hope seems to be that business interests are starting to realize that the benefits of right wing votes supporting status quo on K street are now getting offset by the insanity of those voters on other key issues that also relate to business (e.g. their stance on immigration, gay rights, etc). Even fairly conservative chambers of commerce are starting to say wait a minute... wait a minute... and yet these candidates like this loon end up on the ticket. How can we not be the laughingstock of the rest of the world?!

18. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I'll get right on it as soon as she stops blaming extreme weather conditions on gay people.

19. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

Do you really need to call her that? Think what she says is brutally repulsive, but do the world a favor and don't perpetuate her hate.

20. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

schizophrenia will always exist.

I really believe anyone who thinks this way is truly either a meth abuser or a schizophrenic.

----------

Why not? The only bigger, dumber bitch is Putin.

21. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

22. ElectronGuru, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014

ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Part is a hang over from our own Cold War rhetoric. Winning meant being better. Better economics, better culture, better military, better god. 2-3 generations taught that their country was their country. Thats a lot to just give up.

And that righteousness is now feeding into win-at-all-costs politics. One of the results of which is gerrymandering. District after district cleaned of differences. More and more like minded people, concentrated into increasingly homogenized voting districts. The less diverse your voters, the more targeted and fire breathing the candidate.

In this case, the original goal of the Rs was the beat the Ds, but the technique worked to well. So well, that Rs are now being attacked from the right.

23. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

She needs to be hanged, not elected to political office.

24. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Now, I surely don't want her to win, but saying that she should rather die than be elected is a bit radical, and not cool. After all the threats and such we had with Palin and Obama, that just goes too far.

With that said, I don't think she has a chance at all of getting elected.

BL.