Suspicious app showed up in my brother's software updates. He's freaking out. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by stevie grant, Feb 20, 2018.

1. stevie grant macrumors regular

2. JayKay514 macrumors member

Why is this "suspicious?" It's an actual app in the App Store, which means that, at the least, it has been reviewed by Apple and runs signed code. It's a third-party app for Pandora streaming radio, btw.

It wouldn't be in Updates unless it was actually on the Mac in question, so he (or someone else with access to his computer/account) had to have installed it.

Easiest thing to do is just delete the app, if neither of you recognize it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/music-streaming/id1123406334?mt=12

3. stevie grant thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks -- I just found that as well.

He didn't remember installing it, and a google search didn't turn up any results for some reason.

Appreciate the reply.

4. Anderton macrumors member

Anderton

I recently ran into a similar issue. I found out that ”artefacts” of an app (not the app itself) was on a external drive->disk image of a drive i had rescued earlier for a friend of my father, was picked up by Mac App Store like it was installed on my actual boot drive (!). The app, which also happens to come from a fellow developer from the same country and with similar named apps on MAS as yours, came to the fathers friends computer after the he installed adware/malware from some ”system cleaner application”; and when he searched for ”Video player mac”, all search results pointed to a application at the Mac App Store, which was no accident.

Could it be something similar (ex. connected a external drive)?

5. stevie grant thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply, but it's been sorted out. It was a helper app for Pandora. He just forgot that he had installed it. Appreciated!