Suspicious White Powder mailed to Mormon Temples

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SLC Flyfishing, Nov 13, 2008.

1. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

a response to the allegations that the mormon church funded an effort to pass prop 8 in cali perhaps?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Mormons secretly do coke because they can't drink coffee?

Breaking news: white powder found in my cupboard! Mostly flour, some baking mix, a little powered sugar.... and a whole lot of heroin. (I keed)

3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

4. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

A bag of flour is enough to cause a panic. Yep, we're doing great on the battle against fear.

5. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Must be their monthly shipment of Angel Moroni dust.

6. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I didn't see that there was panic, they closed down the area called in the cops, and sent it off to a lab. Seems pretty orderly to me.

7. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

We're talking about an act of terrorism, and all any of you can do is make fun of the Mormons?

Well with the exception of Robanga.

SLC

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Very effed up. Tactics like these will only hurt the cause.

9. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Do you know what the substance is?

10. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

It is not a joke these days unfortunately, and it should be investigate by the FBI.

It is sad however that we live in such fear that dimwits can send stuff like this and shutdown any place. :mad:

It doesn't matter doe it?

11. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Yes, very much so.

Sending talcum powder is completely different to sending something deadly. Sending talcum powder is hardly terrorism, is it.

12. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

But in this day and age, sending anything that can be mistaken for Anthrax is considered an act of domestic terrorism. Who sends Talcum powder in an envelope, and what's more, who sends talcum powder in an envelope and doesn't mention that it's talcum powder.

They're still testing this stuff to see what it is. But even if it turns out to be something harmless, the intention was most likely to cause fear.

A similar package was also sent to a knights of Columbus printing press. They were another vocal supporter of Prop 8.

SLC

13. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

No, it isn't.

Terrorism isn't just scaring somebody. It's using violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims (as defined by the Oxford English Dictionary, the official record of the English language). Sending talc to a church doesn't quite fit in with that.

I'd wait to see what is actually going on before getting on your high horse about it. My bet is that it'll turn out to be just a hoax.

14. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

So if I send you a non-functioning pipe bomb it doesn't count?

Consider anthrax was sent out in the past, sending a powder that could resemble it is a terrorist act. The whole point is to TERRORIZE with it right?

15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Nutters are everywhere. Sending envelopes of white powder is intimidation but this doesn't reflect on the 99.9% of people who oppose Prop 8.

But, if you're a church and you mess with politics, especially in a contentious and highly personalised sphere, you lay yourself open to all sorts of unpredictable actions from unpredictable people. Don't play the martyr card.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I am far from a legal eagle, but I would equate that with yelling fire in a crowded theatre.

At least with the bacon episode, you can get a meal out of it.

[​IMG]

17. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

It's terrorism after people put the threats into action. A false bomb threat isn't terrorism, setting off a bomb is. If you were to water down the term terrorism to the point where any manner of intimidation is by definition terrorism because the subject is terrified, Wes Craven would be a terrorist. Sneaking up behind someone and shouting "boo!" would be terrorism.

18. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

OK, so the issue is with using the term terrorism to describe the action. I stand corrected. :D

I'll stick to "criminal", and "illegal" and to go after and arrest them.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And make them pay for the resources needed to deal with the faux-threat.

Put a monetary value on it, and publish far and wide.

20. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Well you can't really be corrected, because there are apparently at least 100 official definitions of terrorism floating around. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrorism

But the UN's definition of terrorism is: "any act intended to cause death or serious bodily harm to civilians or non-combatants with the purpose of intimidating a population or compelling a government or an international organization to do or abstain from doing any act".

Mailing anthrax is indeed an act intended to cause death or serious bodily harm. Mailing talcum powder is not.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Who said gay activists did it? You don't think someone could be taking advantage of the situation to make the movement look bad?

Way to make assumptions, rdowns and some of the rest of you.

And regardless of who did this, they should be punished.

22. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Nobody has said who did it, even rdowns didn't say it was gay activists. It's not known yet who did this, but it will hurt the cause if it is tied to a gay marriage supporter.

Call it terrorism, call it stupid, either way it's a federal offense and the idea is to intimidate and cause fear. That's as low as it gets if you ask me.

SLC

23. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I hate to keep picking up on things that you say, but it really isn't.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ya think? What if it's someone who claims to be a gay marriage supporter and really is just the opposite? Honestly, in my mind that is far more likely.

Yes, it is low, but not as low as it gets. There's far worse.