Suttle encouragement to buy a new phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JM, Oct 25, 2015.

1. JM macrumors 6502a

JM

Pretty sure this was done on purpose to make it annoying to have a 4" phone. See screenshot.

The picture is cut off on the right side in the App Store. (Even the app of the week some panda game does it, so it's not just because EA uploaded a larger image. I really think Apple controls how the image displays.)

Yeah, yeah... Apple still gives you updates on two year old devices (I have a 5s), but this little thing in the App Store is annoying simply because it's obvious that something isn't right.

Planned obsolescence? C'mon I know y'all have thoughts :)

Attached Files:

2. thatanonymoususer macrumors regular

thatanonymoususer

3. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Erm... those are just image previews. If you tap on the image, you get the full picture. Even on a 5S. You're really grasping at straws here.

4. JM thread starter macrumors 6502a

JM

Ha. Thanks.

5. JM thread starter macrumors 6502a

JM

Well that was interesting. Here's what I found in that link:

"If your app indicates that it is optimized for the iPhone 6, at least one 4.7-inch screenshot is required. Up to four additional screenshots can be uploaded. You can rearrange the screenshots when you create or edit the iTunes Connect record.

Screenshot requirements are:

• 72 dpi, RGB, flattened, no transparency

• High-quality JPEG or PNG image file format

• 750 x 1334 pixels for hi-res portrait

• 1334 x 750 pixels for hi-res landscape

"

Fine. Great. Why then does the image in the AppStore before I click it get cut off. If someone says the Sims Free Play is cut off on their 6 or 6+, then it's an error in the AppStore. If it isn't cut off then Apple wants you to buy a 4.7 device because it's a subtle (thanks) annoyance that they created on purpose.

They already admit to making the green chat bubbles to make non Apple users "green with envy" (from the Apple site regarding iMessage) so subtle things to encourage spending more money exists. So it is "slightly-inconvenient-gate", Mr Rolly-Eyes.

6. JM thread starter macrumors 6502a

JM

Straw firmly grasped, Apple Dude. I have a legitimate argument with no counter argument yet.

7. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Well you did ask for our thoughts, not a counter argument. If you think cutting off 10% or so of picture previews is part of a conspiracy to get people to upgrade their phone, I'm not gonna try to convince you otherwise. I think it's worth noting though that not all apps are like this.

After doing a brief browse of about 20 or so apps, only about half were the "cut-off" previews and half were not. All were on the front page. I honestly think the "cut-off" is just part of Apple's style. In the app store on my 6, I can only see 3 and a half apps— the fourth is cut-off. Also the same with categories. I can only view one and a half— the second is cut-off. Is this a subtle hint for me to upgrade to a Plus?

8. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I can only see 4 and a half apps on my 6s Plus! I think OP is really on to something, iPhone 7 Plus with 17" display confirmed.

EDIT: ok this makes absolutely no sense:
    With iTunes Connect, you need to upload screenshots for all devices your app supports. This includes 4 inch devices, and get this- even 3.5 devices. What's your point with this?

9. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

If that what it takes to get someone to buy a new phone, I suspect they've already bought a 6s, and have money put aside for a 7...

C

10. thatanonymoususer macrumors regular

thatanonymoususer

It's a subtle hint that you should only consider the iPad Pro in the future. When I first got my 6s, there were some videos for the apps on my 6 Plus that weren't available on the 6s. Is Apple telling me to downgrade? (Hint: no - videos are device-specific)

11. JM thread starter macrumors 6502a

JM

Yes. Upgrade.

Kidding.

No, I am looking for other thoughts. Thoughts are interesting. And the idea that Apple is doing little things to encourage spending money is very interesting to my curiosity.

12. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Apple has a highly tuned sales and marketing team, but I suspect they're more refined than resorting to sabotage of older phones. Perhaps not, though...

C

13. JM thread starter macrumors 6502a

JM

My point was that I couldn't find anything in the document to explain why the picture is cut off. I posted that snippet to show the closest bit of evidence that might make a case for why.... But, that's why I replied "Fine. Great": because it didn't explain why the photo is cut off on my 5s.

14. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

No, they're definitely sabotaging older phones. I pulled out my old iPhone 4 running iOS 6 and sure enough, the photos are cut off! I'm shocked Apple would stoop so low as applying secret firmware upgrades to phones to make them show less of a photo to force users to upgrade... /s
    On another note, I miss iOS 6. Great looking OS, especially on Retina.

Attached Files:

15. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

Lol! My initial thought exactly.

16. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Maybe because the phone is too small to show a HORIZONTAL screenshot? Just a thought.

17. JM thread starter macrumors 6502a

JM

If green bubbles can do it, and cut off picture in the AppStore can as well.

18. JM thread starter macrumors 6502a

JM

Can't turn the AppStore to landscape. Tried it.

19. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I was wearing my tin-foil hat, so the green bubbles had no effect. I can make you one too, if you'd like. So you can save your money.

C

20. JM thread starter macrumors 6502a

JM

Here's Dr. Panda as app of the week. Somebody with a 4.7 inch screen (and/or whatever the + is) post a screenshot of their Dr. Panda.

Please and thank you.

Attached Files:

21. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

You do realize text messages on iPhones have been green since the introduction of the original iPhone right? Blue was added to represent iMessages but standard texts have ALWAYS been green.
    You can't do that on the 6 either, so it looks like you're stuck tapping photos to view them on any iPhone aside from the plus.

22. JM thread starter macrumors 6502a

JM

They're not. I have proof.

23. JM thread starter macrumors 6502a

JM

Thanks. I'm going to need those savings to buy a new 6s to see the entire picture in the AppStore.

24. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

Cut off on my 6s plus as well since it doesn't show all 5 photos like you seem to think should happen. Darn, better sell this phone and wait for one big enough to show all the app store photos!

Attached Files: