Swap 13" Air toshiba 128 to mini then owc 180 to air?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by lightstrum, Jul 28, 2011.

1. lightstrum macrumors newbie

I have a 13" Air 2010 with the 128 toshiba drive. I am thinking of getting the 799 mini with i7 upgrade and swapping in Air drive as a boot drive and getting the owc aura 180 for my air. The point being that I would increase drive capacity by 50% in the Air and get a much faster drive- according to barefeats- and get a much faster boot drive for the new mini at a big savings over the mac offering.
    Any thoughts? is it worth the $100 for the I7? Is this doable?

2. DesertDog macrumors member

Not doable. The Air doesn't use a regular 2.5" in drive like the MBPs or the Minis. The SSD in the Air looks like a big stick of ram and doesn't use a SATA connection. So you wouldn't be able to put it in the mini.

3. lightstrum thread starter macrumors newbie

The way I understand it the ssd module that Apple is putting in the new mini is the ssd module from the Air. Am i wrong about this?

4. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

The MBA uses a type of flash storage completely different from the SSDs used in the Mini so no, they're not compatible.

Regardless, the 120 GB Mercury 6G SSD from OWC is only $220 rather than the $380 you'd spend on the 180 GB module for your MBA so it'll be cheaper to just install the appropriate SSD into the Mini.

5. thunng8 macrumors 6502a

Yes, you are wrong about this.

6. lightstrum thread starter macrumors newbie

7. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

The first one labeled in Yellow is the MBA's flash storage

The second one is a normal SSD found in the mini except they are not OCZ's SSD, they are probably Samsung's, Toshiba's or Hitachi's SSD's.

Attached Files: