Swap 2.4 alum MBP for 1.86 MBA-Deal or No Deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by clyde2801, Dec 2, 2008.

?

2.4 unibody MBP for 1.86 2g MBA w/SSD-Deal or No Deal?

Poll closed Dec 5, 2008.
  1. For your needs, you'll love the Air. Deal!

    15.0%
  2. Nah, keep your rig and update it later. No Deal!

    85.0%
  1. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #1
    I've got a friend with the gen b 1.86 MBA with the 128 gb SSD HD. He's wishing he got a pro for pro applications instead of the air.

    I've got a 2.4 unibody MBP with 4 gigs of ram and applecare. I use mine for really humdrum consumer stuff, and have it connected to a external monitor, keyboard and mouse most of the time. (And before you say anything, I found the MB screen unacceptable.) I do occasionally run XP programs using VMware Fusion, if that makes any difference.

    My friend is proposing to swap systems. We've got a similar amount invested in each, and we seem to have systems that are more suited to each other's needs.

    Deal or no Deal? I'd like the portability of the air, and the SSD, but I'm not wild about losing a superdrive. I also suspect that if I wait a year or two, I'll be able to drive an SSD with double the capacity and twice the price. I'd like some input from both camps who have used their machines.

    Also, how does the Air with the SSD perform under everyday applications? Is there anything I should be aware of? Thanks for your advice.
     
  2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

    neiltc13

    Joined:
    May 27, 2006
    #2
    MacBook Air is half a computer. You're trading a full computer for half a computer, which anyone can see is a bad deal.
     
  3. Scottsdale macrumors 601

    Scottsdale

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2008
    Location:
    U.S.A.
    #3
    I disagree. It is an amazing computer, and I would have already made the trade.

    With the new upgrades, the MBA is a real workhorse. Has the new 45nm CPU, beautiful display, mini display port (to drive up to a 30" display), Nvidia graphics, faster RAM, ultra fast SSD, and more.

    I would do it in a second if you don't absolutely NEED the pro for some reason.
     
  4. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
  5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #5
    I'd say wait a while; the MBP is a terrific computer, and while the MBA is a superb technological innovation - especially in Rev B, or its second generation - nothing I've read has yet convinced me that it can do the "heavy lifting" required from someone's main computer.

    The real reason to get the MBA is if you travel a lot, or need the fantastic and superbly designed portability. If not, hold on to the MBP for now. Or best of all, wait, and get the MBA later, to add to your MBP.

    Cheers and good luck
     
  6. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

    John Jacob

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2003
    Location:
    Columbia, MD
    #6
    Sorry, I misunderstood the question. I voted for "keep your rig" but now that I re-read your post, I think the Air is better suited for you, provided you do need the portability. So I suggest you do the swap.
     
  7. zer0tails macrumors 65816

    zer0tails

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #7
    the air is a fun computer. But trading the MBP for MBA is not worth it at all.

    Maybe you guys can do a 1 week trial trade period and see how you like it. But honestly, it's not a good trade
     
  8. amoda macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2006
    #8
    I agree with zero0tails, maybe a 1 week trial would be good? However, you'd have to work out things such as what happens if the laptop gets damaged. Unlikely, but possible.

    It seems that the Air would be fine for you, but I don't know. I'm not a fan.

    Yeah, really you should go for a trial.
     
  9. six.four macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2008
    #9
    I say it depends on your needs. If you REALLY value the portability, don't need the power, and it is not going to be your primary computer - go for the air. But for everything else - keep the Pro for sure.

    The air SSD is pretty good (definite improvement over the first gen), but won't compare to the new SSD's coming out in the near future - or even the intel x25. If historical prices mean anything, 2.5" SSD's will be much cheaper than their 1.8" (macbook air) counterpart anyways.

    Also to consider - you can't upgrade the ram on the MBA. So if you're running Parallels or VM Fusion, you'd have to split your already meager 2gb with your virtual machine.

    If it were me (even as a second computer) I would keep the Pro - even if it were a secondary computer.
     
  10. StuBeck macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #10
    I wouldn't. The MBA is going to get better with faster SSD's and better components in the future which will make it much better.
     
  11. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

    yorkshire

    Joined:
    May 18, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #11
    No Deal Noel. Bankers giving you a bad deal here.

    The MBP is far better, and, let's be honest, it's thin enough
     
  12. sukanas macrumors 6502a

    sukanas

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    #12
    Yeah +1, its thin enough

    and the SSD is a replaceable part and will lose value
    and the SSD is the only thing thats holding value in the air
     
  13. descartes macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2006
    #13
    look at used prices for both the rev a MBA and the older pro. I think you will find that the MB pro holds its value much better.
     

Share This Page