Swap black for white in store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmargolis, Sep 20, 2012.

1. jmargolis macrumors member

I pre-ordered black. I'm thinking of taking the unopened package to an apple store, check out the display models (black and white), and if I like white better then asking to swap my unopened black for an unopened white. Think this is possible on launch day without waiting in the iPhone buyer line?

Also, would this require calling AT&T to activate since my number would be tied to the black phone I pre-ordered? Or would swapping with white carry the number to the new phone (seems it should)?

2. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

3. ITS ME DAVID macrumors 6502

i was gonna do the same but apple.com said on iphone orders returns to store are not allowed you must mail it back.

4. coasterswim macrumors 6502

Why would they give you a white model in front of all those waiting in line?

5. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Because he is more important than the minions in line. He preordered!

6. yoshimeow macrumors member

just go trade with someone ... black is usually more popular and sells out faster.. there is usually someone in the of back of the line that just buys a white one since he waited so long already.. just approach that guy and ask to trade with him.. you are both happy and get the phone you want..

oh yea be sure to just swap out the SIM cards.. might be the easiest way to trade

7. jmargolis thread starter macrumors member

Trading is not a bad idea. Is the serial number tied to me at that point (pre-ordered, unopened box) or just the sim? So no confusion about who owns which phone?

8. yoshimeow macrumors member

well the original serial number will most likely be tied to you..(not sure if you can somehow ask them to update it in the system... i've sold ipads and iphones to people in the past.. and the original information was always tied to me but for warranty work all apple cares about was when it was purchased..
    the SIM is tied to your billing account ..

9. jcliden macrumors member

I highly highly highly doubt it. I dun think they're gonna give priority to people who want an exchange. And it's going to be hectic tomorrow so they wouldn't want to deal with the hassle either. Perhaps you can try trading with someone else who has a white one.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

11. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I already called on this. They will make you wait in line to exchange. You have 30 days to exchange. Also, a purchase from the site CAN be exchanged in store.

12. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

You're going to have to mail your phone back to Apple.

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You'll have an easier time if you don't open your box.

14. DMHmac macrumors member

Black is more popular so will sell out at a faster rate. There should be plenty of white ones but you'll have to wait at the back of the queue.

15. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

You can open it and use it. It doesn't have to be sealed in the box in order to return it. You have 30 days from receipt. I doubt you'll be able to jump ahead of people in line, though. Just wait a week or so until the lines have died down and the stock has stablized and do the swap. It will give you a chance to make an informed decision. That's what I plan to do.

----------

Doesn't matter if it's opened or not.