Swap for 'like new' phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bhigh8, Sep 1, 2013.

1. bhigh8 macrumors 6502

So I have been having call issues since I bought my iphone 5 in November. it has a call failed about 50% of the time and have tried many things to no avail. well Verizon has offered me a like new replacement. what is everyones opinion on these? are they in good shape. better than refurbished? reason I am concerned is my iphone is in perfect shape. no marks. battery is okay but nothing great. I get about 7 hrs on a good day.

would it be better for me to try contacting Apple? I don't have one close to me to go into. Also they will tell me I don't have phone support so may not get any help.

so what would you do?

2. cynics macrumors G4

Like new is likely a refurb the same as Apple would give you. Regardless its better then what you are dealing with now.

I can't hurt to call Apple though.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it may look pretty, but if your phone has call issues, then it's faulty. i'd say get the replacement.

4. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

what would apple do for me? I am assuming best case scenario, they send me a refurbished phone. what does like new or refurbished mean technically? new shell? new battery? or is it just a returned phone?

also, the phones come with a 1 yr warranty. would it start over if I got a replacement phone? because technically that's considered a new phone. just curious.

5. cynics macrumors G4

Refurb is going to be indistinguishable from a new iPhone in form and function.

6. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Will Refurbs and like new from Verizon be the same? has anyone has a like new from Verizon sent to them?

7. AAPLinc, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013

AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I had to swap my 4S last fall, after it was about 11 months old and I got a brand new 4S. Checked the serial, it had been made in Shenzen, China (factory C8) just a month or 2 before. The 'black box' iPhones are just new iPhones without accessories, specifically there to swap. Apple does this to save money and resources. Do they give out refurbs? I'm sure, especially if you have an older generation.

I would go to Apple and swap, you're more likely to get a brand new iPhone. If you truly have issues, Apple is always happy to replace.

8. cynics macrumors G4

I'm not sure about that. Hopefully someone in the know will chime in.

9. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

When I received a Verizon "like new" phone what it was ... Was basically a refurb that you'd get from Apple. For some reason they just call it "like new". Most of them are going to be In great shape. I have seen a couple with a scratch or a ding but nothing major. Also all components have been tested to make sure they are working properly.

What I know about regular AppleCare is that when you get a refurb you have 90 days on that phone but if your AppleCare has longer then 90 days left then you keep the AppleCare as is..

10. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

well I never got applecare. I just had the one yr warranty that comes with all the phones. this has been the worst phone in terms of calls. I was just dealing with it but it gets annoying. I don't call many people but my family is starting to get pissed that I hang up on them almost every call.

11. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

either the original one year warranty would continue from the original purchase date or 90 days, whichever was greater. so if you bought it a month ago, your replacement unit would have 11 (not 12) months of warranty remaining. if, however, you bought your iphone 5 on launch (sep 2012), then you'd have 90 days (since it's greater) from the time you get your replacement.

12. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

sounds good. thanks for answering. I wish I would have just did the trade then. they noted my account so I can go back and do it. regretting not just doing it then. just have babied this phone so much and was worried about what I might get. sounds like it will be just as good.....and make calls.

13. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Im getting the like new phone today. is there a way to see when it was made and if there is any other info on it. is there a way to see how long it was owned by someone else?

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not sure why you're so concerned with this, as others have said refurbs are as good as if not better than stock phones. Do you think it's in either Verizon or Apple's best interest to send you a non-functional phone? also not sure why you think your warranty will reset, you're getting a replacement phone for a phone that has been used for the last 10 months.

15. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

It seems like you're more concerned with condition rather than function. You asked about dropped calls once and then you keep asking tons of questions about quality. Looking to sell it before the 5S?

16. bhigh8 thread starter macrumors 6502

honestly i think the call drop will continue. its very bad at my house but really thats the one place. no other verizon phones we have owned do this. even my iphone 4. so just giving it a shot to see if this will work. i plan to just keep the iphone 5. i like it. i dont usually update with the new product when they come out unless it jives with my renewal date. so just hoping to learn about this phone more.

also hope the battery is better than mine as it only gets about 6 hrs at most and thats with tons of things turned off.

----------

i just asked the question and someone answered. I thanked them.

17. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

You will receive a iPhone that looks new. As if you went to the apple store and got a replacement at the Genius Bar. With plastic on the front and back.

18. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

What part of the term "like new" do you not understand OP?

It's not like used.

It's not like old.

It's like new as in NEW.

19. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Oh wow, now I'm really confused, what condition will it be in?