Swap in MacBook Pro 13" 2010 Model for 21.5" iMac and iPad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ohjaypee, Aug 18, 2012.

1. ohjaypee macrumors newbie

Okay here's my plan, tell me whether I'm an idiot or it makes sense.

I currently have a 2010 MBP 13", Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHZ, 250GB RAM + a 3rd Gen iPad 16gb, WiFI and 3G.

I am a uni student and I want to get something more powerful than my current laptop. My plan is to get a 21.5" iMac, base model and sell the MBP and use the iPad as my mobile computer for showing off my portfolio and editing documents on the go via the iWork apps.

Pros: super portable, huge increase in CPU power (quad core>dual core) and bigger screen to work with plus I prefer typing with the Wireless Keyboard and I have a lot of essays this year.

Cons: expensive, less productivity on the go, my Dad is pissed because he put some money into a pot so I could buy a MBP and now he thinks I'm disrespecting him saying I want to sell it.

I reckon I can get £550 for my MBP easy, and I can buy the iMac now for £890. So cost to me is £340.

Should I wait to buy the iMac or buy it now, should I go 2nd hand, and is my idea good or not?

Cheers guys.

~ohjaypee

2. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I don't think it's a bad idea at all. You will have a notably faster setup and if you don't mind not having a laptop, that iMac will be a great machine for what you want to do. I would recommend getting it refurbished though to save money.

But 250GB RAM on your old MBP is a lot. :eek:;)

3. ohjaypee thread starter macrumors newbie

Whoops, I totally meant 250GB HD, 4GB RAM. Haha! I think my heart is set on it so I'm going to do it. The portability is a major plus cos whipping out a macbook in lectures and seminars with 10 people in it is a pain.

Running CS5 on my MBP is really slow at the moment too and I only have 14GB of hard drive space left!

When is the best time to buy an iMac do you reckon?

4. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Well, according to the Buyer's Guide here, the iMac is very overdue for an update and they seem to be coming in the next month or so. You should wait if you plan on buying a brand new one and you're not in a hurry to do so.

See here: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac