Swap my SIM to new 16gb iphone and let my wife have 8gb

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by springer01, Feb 14, 2008.

1. springer01 macrumors newbie

I just bought my wife a 16gb iphone for v-day she is cool with me having it and her getting my 8gb is this possible by switching the SIM cards out?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Should be possible. Just swap then connect to iTunes to activate the new one. You may have to restore the 8GB, but should be just that easy.

TEG

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

so, are you buying your wife another gift since she was cool enough to give you hers??:D

4. JCastro macrumors 6502a

The iPhone will only work with an iPhone Sim card. So if she is going to try to pull a Sim out of another type of phone it probably won't work. All you will need to do is go to the AT&T store and buy another Sim then activate the new Sim via iTunes.

The new 16gb phone will also need to be activated using the Sim that came with the iPhone. There have been conflicting reports on that though. It can't hurt to try to switch the Sims around to see what happens though.

Also, you should let her keep the 16gb... :D

Good Luck!

5. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

He is trading SIMs between two iPhones. Also, the iPhone will work with any at&t/cingular SIM. There is no connection between an iPhone and the SIM that comes with it.

TEG

6. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I took my sim out of my 8gb and put it in my 16GB. I sold the 8gb this evening. I was unable to clear my music and such from it before I changed the sim. Now when I connect the 8gb I get the screen where nothing can happen until you go through activation. So I assume my stuff will be erased when activated by the seller?

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yes, It will be cleared when it is activated.

TEG

8. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Thanks so much I was worried:)

9. springer01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool thanks... And no she isn't getting another gift she still gets an iphone.. ;)

10. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

some how i doubt it will work just because the sim card and iphone are matched together.

My advice is get a copy of ziphone cause it looks like your going to have to unlock it.

On a dude to dude level her I would just let her keep the phone and save for my own 16 gig. Then again i never keep more than 4gigs of itunes content on mine at any given time.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

A box of chocolates...

would also be a nice touch! :cool:

12. springer01 thread starter macrumors newbie

I swapped the card and it didnt work.. Im Just gonna let her keep the 16gb that way I dont have to spend any more money on chocolates ..I really want a macbook air! ;)

13. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Even though you swap the cards, you still have to activate. Even though in reality, you can use the card that came with the 16GB, and trasfer your account, then reactivate the 8GB using her information.

TEG

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Go to the at&t store and get a new 3G sim card (they will give you one free of charge), pop it in the 8GB phone and activate it as a new phone for your wife. You can activate the 16GB phone and transfer your account to that phone.

15. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

He doesn't need a new card, since the 16GB came with one. You can activate the 16GB to replace the 8GB. The 8GB will instantly need to be reactivated, when you do you can do her account setup.

TEG

16. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Return both phones and use 2 tins cans and a really long string. When you want to hear music, sing ;)

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Someone can correct me, but I believe once a sim card is activated it's toast.

18. JCastro macrumors 6502a

The SIM is locked with the account holders info. It can be transfered but it rarely happens.

My wife and I actually had an account that was originally opened by her sister in-law. We had to jump through all kinds of hoops to get the account switched to our name. It wasn't even worth it for several years. We were listed as users and had access to make changes.

19. JCastro macrumors 6502a

As I said above, it wasn't going to be as easy as switching the SIMS around. The new, unactivated iPhone has to be activated using the SIM that shipped with it. Your older 8gb may or may not work with her SIM that you would pull out of her old phone. I have heard of it working but usually it doesn't. All you would need to do is go to the AT&T store and pick up a new one though. Your current SIM in the 8gb will not work for her though. Either hers will or you will need a new one.

You probably have already done what you are going to do so I don't know if this is going to help or not.

20. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I did a similar thing last week, except my old 8GB went to my daughter (my wife already has an iPhone). Here's how I did it in the UK.

1) Activated the 16GB with the SIM card that came with it.
    2) Swapped SIM cards over
    3) Powered off and restarted the 16GB, which went back to the "Activate" screen
    4) Re-Activated the 16GB with the old 8GB SIM card - worked fine
    5) Powered of and restarted the 8GB, which went back to the "Activate" screen
    6) Re-Activated the 8GB, then did an "Erase Content and Reset Settings" from the phone to clear it down. Note to earlier poster: After I re-activated the 8GB, everything was still there until I did the reset...

After that, I had the 16GB with my old SIM, number, etc and the 8GB with the new SIM and number - couldn't be easier!