Swap out my Seagate Momentus XT before sending in to AppleCare? (Early 2008 MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cathyy, May 22, 2011.

1. cathyy, May 22, 2011
    Last edited: May 22, 2011

cathyy macrumors 6502a

Okay umm I swapped out my HDD for a Seagate Momentus XT some time back, even though my warranty isn't over yet (it had 1 more month left).

Anyway I had a motherboard replacement a month ago, but it seems to be acting up a bit, such as the sound turning on and off intermittently, and the computer occasionally shutting off by itself due to lack of power despite the charger being plugged in.

I'm planning on sending it back in. Should I swap back my HDD first before doing so?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you're not allowed to change the HDD on the Early 2008 MBP as it voids the warranty.

2. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

if you are of the paranoid sort or you have a lot of sensitive info on your hdd that you don't want a genius at apple to perhaps stumble across, otherwise I'd just leave it as is.

3. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

I would do so anyway, as the first thing the repair tech is going to do is try to return the machine to "original" hardware to see if any new hardware is the problem. The easier you make it for them, the faster it's returned to you. This is assuming you have the original Apple hard drive, of course.

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

When I went into the Apple Store, I just remove the hard drive and give it to them. They don't ask about it. They just take it in and fix the issue and return the system back to you.

5. cathyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I forgot to mention that you're not allowed to change the HDD on the Early 2008 MBP as it voids the warranty.

Although I didn't leave any noticable prints there which might indicate that it has been tempered with. Even the original 'Apple tape' is still there.

6. cathyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. gullySn0wCat macrumors 6502

Was there tape that said "warranty void if removed"?

I would swap it back in any event. So close to your warranty running out, they will probably try to pull some BS

8. cathyy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope, no 'warranty void' tape.

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

At this point, just leave the XT inside, make sure oyu back up your drive and send it in. I would stop worrying about the drive as long as you didn't damage anything during install.