Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ejosepha

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
I intend to buy the mid-range mac mini with the 500gb HD and swap it out and install a new ssd. How will I then install the OS Lion on the new ssd? Do I first start up the delivered machine and register it with apple or can I simply swap out the drives, where I will be beginning with an unformatted ssd. I certainly don't want to buy the usb key Lion install. I know there is a recovery or installation through the App store by internet, but how would I even access this on a blank unformatted ssd?

Also, once I do have Lion installed can I back up my data, programs, etc. from my Snow Leopard Time Machine backup?
Thanks

ejosepha

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 12, 2009
The Lion USB Drive will not work with 2011 Mac Minis if they came preinstalled with Lion
You can use Lion Internet Recovery: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718
I don't completely understand the above comments. Do I have to first start up the mac mini and register it with the original HD in it and somehow link it to the App Store or would it be possible to immediately swap the ssd for the hd and somehow start the machine and access the Internet Recovery for Lion?
I suppose that I could format the ssd in a usb enclosure and then copy clone the original HD onto it, and then swap the drives, and then Time Machine my original data onto the newly installed SSD. (I suppose I could do the Time Machine migration on startup of HD and then clone.)
If there are any easier suggestions to follow I would appreciate it.
thanks

----------

I don't completely understand the above comments. Do I have to first start up the mac mini and register it with the original HD in it and somehow link it to the App Store or would it be possible to immediately swap the ssd for the hd and somehow start the machine and access the Internet Recovery for Lion?
I suppose that I could format the ssd in a usb enclosure and then copy clone the original HD onto it, and then swap the drives, and then Time Machine my original data onto the newly installed SSD. (I suppose I could do the Time Machine migration on startup of HD and then clone.)
thanks
Would a Carbon Copy Clone of Snow Leopard from my Macbook Air run on the Mac Mini 2011?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Why swap? The new mini will hold two drives. I've got a 240GB SSD and the stock 500GB in mine.

Add in the new drive (you'll need to buy the SATA flex cable, though) then clone the original to the SSD. Nuke the stock drive and you're set.

Buckeyes1995

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2011
thanks

----------

All you need to do is boot the original mini, download the Lion Recovery Assistant and make a USB boot drive. Then, swap out the HD for your new drive, boot off of the USB drive, and internet recovery will download Lion to your new drive.

Alternatively, you could install a second drive and install it to that drive by running Lion install off of the original recovery partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.