Swap upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevejobbers, Sep 14, 2012.

1. stevejobbers macrumors member

Trying to see how to perform a swap upgrade with a family members line. Would I simply order the phone from the eligible line and then take to an AT&T store to perform the swap?

Are there going to be any issues with the fact that the iPhone 5 uses a new micro-sim? How will that fit into older phones? Or will they have some sort of transfer ability to move the info to-and-from the SIM cards?

Thanks!

2. nfl46 macrumors 603

I am on a family plan with two lines. Mines isn't eligible for full upgrade until May, but my other line is eligible now. I am going to walk into the store on the 21st and have them put the full upgrade on my number. That's why I didn't pre order because I wasn't sure how to go about doing that online.

3. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

I posted this in another thread too... but

If I recall in the past for iPhone 4, AT&T:

When you order the phone, you supply a number. This number is used only to check upgrade eligibility. The phone and/or SIM is not associated with the number at this time because it would make your current phone stop working.

When you get your phone and plug it into iTunes, it detects the fresh never activated SIM card. It will ask you what phone number to associate it with. Here, just enter the number you actually want the phone to work on. NOT the number you used when you ordered.

I don't remember if you have to say set up as new to get the phone number prompt, but I would say setup as new to be sure.

4. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Here is the official AT&T procedure... but I don't remember having to do this.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB411462#fbid=gbxIhlQxpVk

My phone number is not eligible for an upgrade, but another line on my account is. Can I use it to upgrade my phone to iPhone 4S?

Yes, you can use the upgrade eligibility of another number on your account to upgrade your own device. To take advantage of this, upgrade the line that is eligible. When your device arrives, follow these simple steps and an AT&T representative will help you activate.

Contact AT&T at 1-800-331-0500 or 611 from a different wireless device. At the prompt, enter the wireless number that received the upgrade.
    At the next prompt, choose option #2 to activate your phone on a different mobile number, and an AT&T representative will help you from there.

5. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

Has anyone done a swap upgrade successfully on a different plan completely? Wanted to give my phone to my girlfriends little brother and pay for the iPhone 5 new plan activation.

Was planning on going to apple store in the morning on the 21st getting the phone and then calling ATT to swap the sim card numbers. Just curious if anyone has tried this before.

6. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Yesterday, this same thing was being asked every hour or so, in new messages. Today, not so much.

Yes, order on eligible line. that line now has a 2 year contract. You can switch devices when it comes in. People do it all the time.

Your contract is on the line, not the phone.

7. jtp098, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

jtp098 macrumors 6502a

I spoke to two different ppl at at&T about this.

You can not swap the upgrades on the lines as they are attached to the contracts...

What you can do it upgrade the line in question of the other family member and just take the phone and put your sim in.. Obviously you need to go to a store to get a new sim..

or try the method mentioned above about connecting it to itunes.. only problem with that is if it does't let you choose the number it will deactivate your family members sim haha.

I will give this a try when I get mine.

8. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Basically what others said, but I'll add that don't go to the store. They are completely clueless. I wasted my time last year going to the store and they didn't know anything about it. I got it done in the parking lot of said store via phone in 15 minutes.

9. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Any updates on this?
    Do we need to go to the AT&T store and get a new micro SIM or can we use the one that is already in the iPhone 5 for the swap upgrading within the same family account?

10. icemanP38 macrumors newbie

I was able to swap family members without having to replace SIM cards by going to an AT&T store. The key is to not turn on the new device so that the SIM card does not get associated with the phone number for which the upgrade was purchased. In summary, the steps are:

1) Do not turn on new device.
    2) Go to AT&T store and ask for a "Cross Activation".