Swapped out a 16gb for 32 today

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chele519, Sep 22, 2012.

1. chele519 macrumors regular

This is my first iphone and I was hesitant at first so I got the 16gb. After getting it yesterday and playing around, and when I saw I had almost 9 gb of music in Itunes, I thought I should get the 32 after all. Since I'll have it for at least 20 months anyway, I figured why not. The store still had some but when I got there, the salesman tried to talk me out of it. Not sure why but he questioned whether I really needed it. Maybe I won't but who knows what will happen down the road and what I might want to put on there. He mentioned that you couldn't watch Netflix and that was why he had Android but I saw in a post that someone used Netflix on a 4/4S. So, can you use Netflix? Just strange to me that he tried to talk me out of it. I had to stop in another ATT store on the way home to get a different case and that guy told me I made the right decision switching to the 32.

2. dyezak macrumors newbie

I would send your story to Apple with a reference to the ATT store # and the tech's name. He was blantantly lying to you.

Yes, you can watch Netflix on your iPhone. Sounds like you had a real Android phanboi in that original store pushing a particular product due to his views instead of helping a customer get what the customer wanted and what was best for that particular customer.

3. chele519 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't remember his name. It was just really strange though. I called up and they had 7 and of course it was first come-first served so I raced over there which was 35 mins away. I talked to another guy who was really helpful and said he thought I'd be ok because everyone thought they had sold out. I told him I would call just before going over the bridge (about 1/2 way) so that I didn't waste the rest of the trip for nothing. He was great, talked to another guy during my drive, also very helpful. it was just the guy doing the actual transaction. The other thing was that I asked him how to delete my info on there, I had no idea how since this is my first iphone. He said they would do a reset and it would wipe everything off. It's only my email on there but still made me nervous so when i got home I changed all the passwords just in case.

He did not try to sell me on another phone at all, just asked why I thought I needed the 32 and he saw a lot of people who overbought and then never needed that much space. He didn't think I had 9gb of music, he said it would be over 4000 songs, I said Itunes said it was around 1400 and it was 8.91gb. Maybe because they converted from WMA, they are bigger? I also asked about putting pdf files on there, that was when he said you could not do anything that was flash related and I mentioned Netflix. He made me second guess my decision so much I was afraid they would sell the rest while I was standing there debating with him. But, the other store said they could only swap it by ordering one and I'd have to wait 3-4 weeks and then they could return this one so I didn't have much choice. At least I got it, that's the important thing.

4. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

5. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

I can't afford anything better, so while I would like a 32GB I sadly cannot have one. I don't think it'd be too bad for me though. I try to freshen up my music library all the time and often backup and delete photos so I keep it low.

6. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

They make more money selling an android phone over an iPhone

7. 28Gauge macrumors 6502

28Gauge

Wasn't there a recent report of an internal AT&T retail memo that instructed the sales staff to try and steer customers away from the iPhone? It sounds like this is what he was doing.

8. brand macrumors 601

brand

You waited until after you already ordered and received the iPhone 5 16GB before even checking how much music you had or thinking about how much you wanted to put on the phone?

9. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

Does nobody use iTunes match? Especially with the new ios6 which allows streaming of your entire iTunes library. Especially if your only concern is music storage.

10. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

This is a good question, was wanting to go that way and only get a 16. Any real world examples of that actualy working.

11. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

I'm a user and it works great. You still have the option to download but streaming works better for me. Just nice to have your entire iTunes library on your phone and able to stream/download it. Well worth the 25 a year in my opinion.

12. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

That is good to hear, I have a iPH 4 16gb now and for most part it is the correct size. My music library takes up most of my room

13. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

Yeah with iTunes match and Dropbox who the hell needs 32 or 64?

14. brand, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

brand macrumors 601

brand

People that don't have bandwidth to waste on streaming music. :rolleyes:
    People that don't want to waste their bandwidth on streaming music. :rolleyes:
    People that don't want to pay for iTunes Match. :rolleyes:
    People that don't want to sign up for Dropbox. :rolleyes:
    People that don't want to be exposed to all of the security risks that Dropbox brings. :rolleyes:
    People that are in areas with no WiFi or cellular coverage. :rolleyes:

15. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

If you do t want to stream then you can download specific songs. If you have enough music to worry about space it's doubtful you even know everything in your library. 4 years of iTunes match offsets the 100 price between iPhone gb.

16. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Or you could use Google Music and have all of your library (ok, up to ~20,000 songs) for FREE.

17. brand macrumors 601

brand

That's great for people that don't have to worry about bandwidth caps.

18. chele519 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it's not just for the music. I could just transfer the most commonly played albums and switch it around occasionally. To be honest, I wasn't sure I was going to like the phone so I went with the smaller one. I have a ton of ebooks and photos, plus some videos. This way I can add whatever I want.
    If I did a lot of streaming, that would bump up the data usage. If they still had unlimited, that woudn't be an issue. I used to stream Slacker on my blackberry and the quality wasn't always that great.

19. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Of course. And also being in areas without enough coverage to stream.

I'm stating it as an alternative to paying for iTunes match.

Personally, I prefer to have the local storage space to put everything I want on the device. You don't have to worry about data coverage to download/stream the music and don't have to worry about data usage in doing so.

20. protobiont macrumors 6502a

I wish Apple would give you the option to set some music as "favorites" and have them stay on your phone, and then set a maximum file size for any other downloaded music (from iTunes Match)' so that you don't have to manually delete songs to free up space.

21. brand macrumors 601

brand

And when you reach that artificial limit? First in first out?

22. dyezak macrumors newbie

I'm a frequent flyer (and work in hospitals), so having a large collection of movies, tv shows, and music on my device when I'm offline in airplanes (or have no cell/wifi coverage in some hospital with 2' thick concrete walls) is a benefit to me.

I'll probably end up with my next iPad being a 64gb (or 128gb if it's available then).

23. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Same here. Just watch your cache even though you're streaming. The music cache can be reset by turning off iTunes Match and then turning it back on.

24. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

People who buy a higher number of GB in storage to make up for what they are lacking elsewhere. ;)

25. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

If you exchange an iPhone, can the store turn around and immediately resell it? If not, then his exchange would mean one less iPhone for the store to sell, as quantities was/are limited. I can therefore see why the store employees wouldn't exactly be eager to process exchanges, particularly over the iPhone launch weekend.