Swapping a upgrades: Swap sims or call AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by capitanbuzo, Sep 16, 2014.

1. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

I used another upgrade on my family plan. Last time I did this, I had to call AT&at but that was also because of different SIM cards (from a 4s non LTE to a 5). Since the 5s has the same SIM card as the 6, will it be possible just to swap SIM cards or so you think it will be necessary to call and supply the SIM card number and IMEI numbers?

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

nikhsub1

Wanting to know the same thing... I would imagine we can just swap sim cards but with ATT who knows.

3. schulzmc macrumors regular

you can't just swap the sims. I called AT&T when I made the 5/5s upgrade and switched from my sons upgrade to my number. It took 5 minutes on the phone and they were very helpful

4. darknyt macrumors 6502a

I'm in a different boat taking a personal upgrade to a corp plan but my rep said not to just swap sims but call him with SIM/IMEI numbers. Also said stuff about sim tech changing and improving, esp between generations.

Who knows. I will say when I handed down my 4s to my wife, she took her 4 sim and put it in 4s. No problems on that so far. AT&T even updated her little picture to show the right phone. Old was white, new one black.

5. vampireszombies macrumors 6502

Just swap sims. If your really concerned it's best to put in the upgraded lines sim into the new phone (not the new one that came with it), activate it (for AT&Ts knowledge) then swap sims.
    I do this all the time. Usually don't even put in the upgrades sims (cause it won't fit) and let's say I try to return that device, AT&T will wonder why it's never been activated and you just simply have to explain to them you swapped sims. No biggie.

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Should be able to swap sims. The only issues might be if you need a different data plan (switching from a pre lte iphone or android)

7. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Yeah, I agree with the posters above. You need to call AT&T.

8. capitanbuzo thread starter macrumors 65816

Activating it per one response really isn't an option because then you are deactivating a number that you didn't want to deactivate. Seems like calling is the overwhelming response so I'll just call again. Last time I didn't have a second phone so I had to use Skype to call. Good thing you can call on Skype to an 800 number for free.

9. Chriztofor, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014

Chriztofor macrumors newbie

If you purchased and picked up your iphone from an Apple store then you need to go to an AT&T store to complete the swap.

I went to an apple store to pickup my iphone. Told employee that I was "upgrade swapping" and that my carrier is at&t. He said, "that's my deal" and he is only selling me the device.

Took the phone home, didn't even open the package, and called AT&T. After 30 minutes on the phone they told me that the phone had been activated and I must go to an at&t store to replace sims on the new iphone and the other phone that I am swapping. Note: sims are different between the phones.

Smooth as silk experience. Sigh.

10. blhoward2 macrumors 6502a

Of course AT&T says that, because then they get to charge you an upgrade fee on both lines (yes, they do that when you cross upgrade). Just swap the sim, if its a problem then you can go to the store.

Note that you need to swap before activating the new iPhone, or it will grab the other sim cards number.

11. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

When the SIM cards are the same type, you can swap them all day long. There is no need to call. I called and asked them to wave the fee, and they did. The reasoning is, I just wanted the picture to show up correctly on the online bill. I talked to a manager and said If I hadn't told you, there would be no charge, I'm calling in just to do the right thing, so don't charge me please. It worked. I got billed, and got a credit for the same amount.

The only time you need to inform them, is if you need a NEW SIM because of a change in design.

12. sallenthornton macrumors regular

I used another upgrade on my ATT plan and after swapping lines, had to go and get another sim card to complete the process. The phone worked with my original sim card, but visual voice mail was not recognized.

Additionally I later received a text message from ATT instructing me to go to nearest ATT store and get an updated sim card. Easy process. Took 5 minutes at store to finalize.

13. POLBOSS macrumors member

I was about to tell you to just swap them when I remembered something... I don't know if it also has anything to do with the NFC in the iPhone, but when I bought my HTC ONE M8, the AT&T store rep, made sure that I had a new type of secure SIM card that could work with NFC...
    This is the first generation of iPhone with NFC... So.. I don't know, but look in to it :)

14. blhoward2 macrumors 6502a

When visual voicemail doesn't work, you just need to call 611 and reset your voicemail password. You don't even need the temp password they send you, it just resets the system.

15. Korican100 macrumors 6502a

Korican100

uhh YES you can swap sims? I got the 6, and gave my 5s to my wife. She had the regular 5. I just took her sim out her 5, and put it in the 5s. boom worked perfectly.

16. Cowboy1629 macrumors 6502

Cowboy1629

Just call ATT before turning on the new phone. Takes about 5 minutes and doesn't affect the other line you are swopping with. And the comment about AT&T charging a second $40 is not true. I've been doing this cross upgrade the last 5 years including this year with the iPhone 6.

In fact I even had AT&T send me a new SIM card for free so my daughter could go from her 4s to my old 5s since she is who I did the swop with.

17. mguti macrumors member