Swapping HD's - 09 13" MBP 2.53 ghz 256ssd to April 10 13" 2.66 ghz 320gb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, May 5, 2010.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

With these two models of 13" MBP's can I simply swap the drives from one notebook to the other with out problems?

Or do I have to reinstall the OS on each hard drive after I swap them?

2. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Anyone? Apologize for the bump but I'm anxious to get this done :)

3. davidlv macrumors 65816

If the hardware has changed (it has, comparing these 2 machines), the system may have new drivers, etc. designed to work with that hardware. In that case a simple HD swap can be very problematic, although a system install, overwriting the old OS, should add the new extensions etc., followed by a software update session. Apple will tell you you need to do a clean install, and indeed that may well be the best, if time consuming.
    Check the build number of the OS on each computer, Apple menu, About this Mac, More Info, Software ----
    example from my system; System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.3 (10D578)
    The numbers in the (10D578) is the build number.
    If the build number is the same (highly doubtful in your case) a simple HD swap should be OK.
    Conclusion; I don't think it is a good idea.

4. Mars478 macrumors 6502a

Mars478

No no change or Reinstall will be needed. Mac OSX has all the drivers by default...
    Ask me, I've switched this MacOSX install on this hard drive from 3 computers already
    MSI Wind Hackintosh (EFI Installed)>MacBook Core Duo>MacBook Pro 15 Late 2008
    And it was all good. :D

5. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I've had about the same results when I search the threads,, 50% say it's okay to swap, the other 50% say don't do it :)

Can anyone say "for sure" that doing a simple swap of the two drives should work fine?

6. Z06jerry macrumors regular

No-one can tell you "for sure". The only way to be sure that you won't have issues is to re-install the OS that came with the computer, it takes less than an hr.

I tried moving the HDD from my 13" aluminum MacBook to my 13" aluminum MacBookPro and I had several minor issues that were resolved when I re-installed the OS for the new machine.

From now on I will always re-install the machine specific OS (or retail disk) after I move a hard drive to another machine.

7. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I've read that this can cause issues with the battery reporting an incorrect amount of charge left... since they increased the battery on the new one. Better off doing a clean install and then restore from a time machine backup IMHO.

8. Z06jerry macrumors regular

It'll be much faster to swap the hard drive first & then run the new install disk on the new machine. This way you won't have to copy the data from your backup because it'll already be there.