Swapping iPhones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DotCom2, Sep 15, 2013.

1. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Hubs and I will be swapping iPhones. We will both have the same size Sims so no problem there. I also know to call AT&T to have the correct IMEI numbers associated with the correct phone, so again, no problem there.
    My question is, when I do the "Erase All Content and Settings" on each phone, do I do this while the sim cards are still in or do I take them out?
    Then or course, after the content is all erased I will swap out the sim cards to get them activated on the right phone. I just can't remember if I leave the sim card in while doing the erase or take them out beforehand?
    THANKS!

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

It doesn't matter about the SIM, and neither does calling AT&T for IMEI.

My friend and I swap periodically (he has White iPhone 5 and I have Black iPhone 5), when we swap we just restore our phones, swap SIMS and then restore from back-ups and go on our way.

The phone sends a signal to AT&T so that the correct IMEI number is associated with your account, no need to call.

3. JohnLT13 macrumors 6502a

JohnLT13

Exactly. my wife and I do this with no problems.

4. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Okay, so I understand about not really have to call about the IMEI but what about the sim being in or out of the iPhone during the erase?

5. DannyDrama macrumors regular

SIM info is separate from phone, your numbers etc will stay on the sim if they are there.

6. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Just swap SIMs before you get to the part where the phone Activates, you swap it at any point before that